ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Image Buffer Size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brooke DahmenImage Buffer Size
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 11:33:10 pm

How do I change the size image buffer that I currently have, without changing the size (visually) of my file?

When I go into composition settings and make adjustments, it changes the image (squishing it in or stretching it)

Really I would just like to render it a decent size to enter it into a festival, so it needs to be viewable on a larger screen... but not so big that my 4G RAM computer can't render it...

Return to posts index

Brooke DahmenRe: Image Buffer Size
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 12:28:58 am

Is there a way to adjust the size of the After Effects document, without going into Photoshop?

All the files in the After Effects project are different sizes in Photoshop and keeping consistent sizing changing is proving difficult.

Is there a way to change my image buffer size so it isnt quite so big?

(it is currently 6000 x 3600)

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Image Buffer Size
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 1:34:33 am

The "image buffer" is not something that you directly control.

The error that you got is just saying that you are trying to render too big a thing with too little RAM. 4GB is not very much RAM.

You say that you're entering something in a festival. What is the format that will be used? I.e., what are the delivery requirements given to you by the festival? Most important to know is what pixel dimensions they're expecting. 1920x1080?

Are any of your input files very, very large, such as huge Photoshop files? If so, resize the source files so that they're the size that you actually need them in After Effects. The most common cause that I've seen for image buffer errors is people trying to work with huge source images in After Effects (like 10,000 pixels across) when all that is needed is a tiny fraction of those pixels.

That's why the suggestions on this page include a suggestion to prepare (crop, etc.) images in Photoshop to the needed size.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:28:36 am

I'm sorry, I don't understand all of that.

I'm not sure what the festival needs size wise, 1280x720... worked before when it actually rendered. That size wont render.

But the image buffer that is apparently 6000 x 3600 is what I have no idea how or where to change.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:29:25 am

Are you saying that your composition is 6000x3600 pixels? Why? That doesn't match any output that I know of. That's more pixels than in the largest digital cinema frame.

The first thing that you should do is find out what size you should be delivering for this festival that you mentioned. Then make your composition that size and design for that frame. The settings for width and height of a composition are in the Composition Settings dialog box.

You're not going to be happy if you're designing for one set of frame dimensions but the people who are supposed to be playing your movie are expecting a different set of dimensions. See "Planning your work".

Also, the issue is not necessarily the size of your After Effects "document" (composition). The problem is the amount of memory that is required to hold all of the things that are used to render a frame. One such factor is large input images like Photoshop documents.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:39:10 am

Not that many pixels, I'm sorry-- that was the number in my error message. That's the size image buffer.

The problem is, it worked once before.

Why it's not working now is what floors me.

Can I change the image buffer size?

The project's size is 1280 x 720. I know it must be the photoshop document's size. The whole animation is made up of photoshop stills. All, different sizes. If they were all the same size I'd just go in and adjust them all the same, but I'm terrified of differences throwing off the animation.

It already got into the festival, they just gave me new sound to put with it. So I'm re-rendering it. And it wont work.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:49:52 am

Not that many pixels, I'm sorry-- that was the number in my error message. That's the size image buffer.

The problem is, it worked once before.

Why it's not working now is what floors me.

Can I change the image buffer size?

The project's size is 1280 x 720. I know it must be the photoshop document's size. The whole animation is made up of photoshop stills. All, different sizes.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 4:42:50 am

The image buffer is not something that you change yourself. It is the amount of memory that After Effects needs to render a frame. For at least one of your frames, you are making After Effects allocate a buffer of that size.

If you're not able to figure out how to reduce the memory requirements for rendering your composition (or if you're unwilling to resize the large PSD files), then I'll suggest this:

Render it in After Effects CS5. The whole reason that we made After Effects CS5 a 64-bit application was to make it so that these memory errors wouldn't ever need to happen again.

If you don't have After Effects CS5, then you can download the free trial version. If you don't have a computer that can run After Effects CS5, then perhaps you can get a friend to do it.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Image Buffer Size
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 12:12:05 pm

if the audio is the only thing that changed, don't rerender.

open a new project, bring the new audio file and the original rendered footage that you entered in the fest into a new comp. disable the audio for the original footage layer (uncheck the little audio icon for that layer).

then render that.

if you need to re-render the original comp, there are a few things you could try at this point to get around the image buffer errors (these are probably in the link that todd provided).

trim you image layers if they are not visible on the screen... ie, if the opacity is 0, the image moves off screen, scale is 0 or another layer is obstructing it so it cannot be seen; just set the in or outpoints to be only as long as they need to be.

i'd also disable multiprocessing in the ae preferences (if it is enabled).

if you have some images that are much larger than you need them to be, use photoshop to create lower resolution versions of those images and save them as proxies (ie, don't save over the originals, just give them a similar name). then, in the project window, select the large image, then choose file>set proxy>file and choose the smaller file you created.

this will insert the smaller proxy image into your comps, but won't require any changes to any properties (like scale).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]