ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask on a light layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fletcher MooreMask on a light layer
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:20:59 pm

I have a shot with a foreground element and a background element. I need a light on the background element. I figured the best way to do this would be to animate a mask, based on the movement of my foreground element, and apply it to my light.

But lights don't like masks.

Any ideas how I can accomplish this?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Mask on a light layer
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:58:14 pm

[Fletcher Moore] "I have a shot with a foreground element and a background element. I need a light on the background element. I figured the best way to do this would be to animate a mask, based on the movement of my foreground element, and apply it to my light."

I'm confused about your setup.

If you need a light on your background layer you should point a light at your background layer ;)

What do you mean by "animate a mask based on the movement of my foreground element"? It sounds like you're talking about a shadow, which you can cast from your foreground element if you set up the material properties of the layer and the light options correctly.

Please clarify if I've misunderstood.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Mask on a light layer
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:35:59 pm

If I understand what you're asking for, maybe these resources about "adjustment lights" will help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Fletcher MooreRe: Mask on a light layer
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 7:47:09 pm

Well, I'm not talking about layers. I mean that the clip I'm working on has a background element I want to cast a light on and the foreground element needs to not get the light. I'd use a solid, but it needs to be invisible to the camera. Make sense?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Mask on a light layer
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:23:17 pm

In that case you can duplicate the footage and mask the foreground element on the upper layer, then apply your lighting/color adjustments to the lower layer.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Fletcher MooreRe: Mask on a light layer
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 1:45:26 pm

That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]