ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

blending layers with 3d renders

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Johnsonblending layers with 3d renders
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:01:50 pm

I'm having some trouble waking up this morning....

I have some models rendered from Cinema 4D that I am integrating some text layers with in After Effects; just slightly reflective cubes with text over them. This is not a question about matching cameras or positioning them or anything like that. I'm just having trouble getting them to look like the text layers are integrated into the rendered cubes. I think its the reflections that are throwing it off. I'll have nice glints running along the face of a cube except where the text appears. I've tried all the transfer modes, and nothing is jumping out at me (and its white text).

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Shane RobinsonRe: blending layers with 3d renders
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:41:50 pm

How do you have the layers stacked? Is the text above or below the cube movie? You may want to try making a duplicate of the cube layer, generating an alpha of it (greyscale) and then applying that to the text via blending mode (duplicate should be above text in stack). Make sure the duplicate does not influence the original by precomping. A screen mode would probably give the look you want.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: blending layers with 3d renders
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:37:52 pm

Or you can try to play with the surface controls of the text layers and add some lights in AE to match the reflections in Cinema 4D

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Mike JohnsonRe: blending layers with 3d renders
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:57:58 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll give those a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]