ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

pre-rendering a specific section

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mathew lisett
pre-rendering a specific section
on Jun 22, 2010 at 8:49:06 pm

hi guys, so im trying to render the footage in sections as ae keep failing and doing by the first secton worked a treat.

how ever each time i try to do the next section in the time line, even when ive done the start and end cut in the preview window on the layer and adjusted the composition settings it always starts the rendering from the start of the footage.

help

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
Re: pre-rendering a specific section
on Jun 22, 2010 at 9:47:35 pm

since i cant edit my own topic.

how come i can pre render up to the end timeline that ive selected, yet when i go to the next selected points to which i want it to render, it doesnt render the start point selected as it will do the start of the footage?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 22, 2010 at 10:18:52 pm

Pre-rendering doesn't work on specific sections of the timeline. Pre-render works on compositions. AE will render the selected comp, import the rendered footage, and replace the comp with the rendered footage in any other comps that use it.

Personally, I prefer to use high-quality proxies instead, because I think they make it easier to manage changes; just don't forget to change your render settings in the render queue to use proxies.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 22, 2010 at 10:31:11 pm

ok first i was told to use prerendering, and now you say proxies?

well the reason i needed to pre render in sections was becuase ae kept crashing, but with smaller amounts it was fine. how ever after the inital first selected area, it wont pre render from when i want it to.

so with that in mind am i knackered, or will the proxie not make ae crash like the pre rendering is doing. and with this proxie you speak of, will that allow the encoding in selected section after selected section?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 22, 2010 at 11:05:16 pm

[mathew lisett] "well the reason i needed to pre render in sections was becuase ae kept crashing, but with smaller amounts it was fine. how ever after the inital first selected area, it wont pre render from when i want it to."

Use image sequences instead of movies. With an image sequence, you can allow AE to resume renders where it left off after a crash if you enable the "Skip existing frames" checkbox in the render settings.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 22, 2010 at 11:58:55 pm

could you do some screen shots showing the steps please.

many thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:16:35 pm

To use a proxy with an image sequence:

• Right-click the precomp in the Project panel that you intend to proxy, and select Create proxy > Movie.
  • In the render queue, choose the "Multi-machine Settings" for the render settings, and choose "Multi-machine Sequence" for the output module. (This will render a best-quality PSD sequence at full resolution, and pre-set all the options for resuming a render in case of a crash. If it does crash, you just need to re-queue the item in the render queue.)
  • After you render, AE will set the image sequence as a proxy for your precomp.
  • When you render your master comp, make sure you adjust its render settings in the render queue. Set proxy use to "Use comp proxies."

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 24, 2010 at 8:43:19 am

ok ive kicked off that. i take it that all the psd files will merge into one complete file at the end, or do i need to do soemthign for it to be as a video file for the project to continue

Return to posts index

mathew lisett
on Jun 25, 2010 at 2:27:31 am

ok that made it thr whole way through, 17 hours over 300gb in psd files.

so how do i make all those files go into the project replacing what is there?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 25, 2010 at 1:32:29 pm

Select the composition that you want to proxy in the Project tab. Right-click, then Set proxy > File...

Select the first PSD in the image sequence, and make sure that the "Photoshop Sequence" checkbox in the lower right corner is ticked.

You will now see a square next to the comp in the Project window indicating that there's a proxy in use. You can click this on and off to toggle.

When you render your final comp, make sure that you go into Render Settings in the Render Queue and change Proxy Use from the default "Use no proxies" to "Use comp proxies only" (or "Use all proxies" if you have proxied footage as well).

There's a lot more information on this in the Placeholders and proxies section of the manual.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]