ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5 export problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett SpiegelCS5 export problem
by on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:51:11 am

I don't know what is going on. I have CS5 AE and when I try to export from a HDTV 1080 comp I get one frame of black after a 50 min export and that's it or if I try to export from say a NTSC comp and I get this..

Does anyone know what this is and how to fix it? I am on a brand new macbook pro. Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: CS5 export problem
by on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:19:00 pm

what are you exporting too (file type and codec)?

where are you viewing the 'export' -- nle, player, ae?

have you tried rendering (composition>add to render queue, set output module settings and path)? generally, render is better than exporting, you'll have more control over the render and more output options.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brett SpiegelRe: CS5 export problem
by on Jun 22, 2010 at 5:21:21 pm

Hey Kevin,

When I say export I meant output.Sorry it is the FCP editor in me that got the terminology wrong.

I added comp to the render queue, wanting to make a quicktime .mov. I set the path, etc., but continued to get that problem. I tried viewing the quicktime in qt7, qt10, and MPEG streamclip.

Thanks,

Brett
http://www.brettspiegeleditor.com

Brett Spiegel

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:22:57 pm

what codec are you using the render the .mov? like a lossless animation, prores, dvcprohd... have you tried other codecs?

also, what's in the comp that you are rendering (footage type, effects), and have you tried to render something simple, like a couple of jpegs with dissolves or a moving solid, something really simple...?

i'm just trying to troubleshoot if it is an render/output issue or a content/effect issue...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2010 at 7:37:09 pm

I've tried a couple of different codec all with different but equally bad results.

I've tried two different comps. Both of them are text comps created in AE. One is just type, no movements or filters, the other more complex with a move and the built in lens flares. The plain text on comes out like the picture above and the lens flare one comes out as a single frame of black

Brett Spiegel

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2010 at 11:47:28 am

i have to admit that i've never seen anything quite like this... i was really expecting to find a bad codec or effect...

to try and rule out a bad setting, quit ae, then hold command+option+shift while restarting ae, click ok when it asks if you want to rebuild the preference file.

then choose ae>preferences>previews and uncheck 'use opengl for previews' (i don't have cs5, but i'm sure that option is still there).

create a short new comp using the preset of your choice, add text and see if you can't render it out.

if that doesn't work... have all your test renders been quicktimes (.mov)? if so, try setting the output module to something other than quicktime -- at the top of the output settings is a dropdown for format, try a tiff sequence or something like that.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 5:56:24 pm

I have tried all of that and I am stumped. Either it outputs with some digital interference or only a few frames. The only thing that works is outputting a TIFF sequence.

Brett Spiegel

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:08:43 pm

Also I just tried one more thing and now I am getting this..

After Effects Error: rendering error while writing file. An output module failed.

Brett Spiegel

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:40:12 pm

Ok, although I haven't fixed the problem I think I might know what it is. I am almost positive that it is a quicktime issue. I have both QT10 and QT 7.6.6

I am wondering if it is either outputting through QT10 or QT 7 and there is a 64bit issue. I export a FLV and it worked fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brett Spiegel

Return to posts index

by on Jun 25, 2010 at 1:10:33 pm

[Brett Spiegel] "I am almost positive that it is a quicktime issue."

i started to suspect the same thing with my last post, i assume that any format other than qt will be fine (any image sequence, etc...)

you could probably also use file>export to create an avi, dv stream, etc...

this doesn't solve your problem though, and i can't seem to find any similar issues... lots of qtx problems with adobe apps, but none like this.

to recap your situation:
  • you got a new macbook pro with 10.6 installed on it (no upgrade from 10.5).
  • insatalled cs5 (no upgrade from cs4).
  • can't render to quicktime container, but other containers seem fine.

i guess at this point make sure you have all the latest updates to the os and cs5.

do a repair permissions (applications>utilities>disk utility) and might as well do a verify disk while you're there.

i think i'd try moving at least the ae preference directory to the desktop, it should be in users/[username]/library/preferences/adobe, then start ae to rebuild the prefs. then try a quick render to .mov.

if that still doesn't work... i'm curious if other adobe apps have the same problem... save a simple ae project, open media encoder and open the ae project. it should let you pick a comp from that project. then try to render that comp from media encoder.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2010 at 11:53:31 am

hey brett, i just noticed that my last post doesn't show up in thread view... so i'm trying this one to see if it does.

did you find some resolution to this render issue?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jul 5, 2010 at 5:44:47 pm

Hi Kevin,

No I have no idea what is going on. I tried a couple of other things but no dice. The only thing I can think of is a quicktime to 64bit issue. It is extremely annoying because I have to export as tiff's to make it work. As you know they are very large so when I am doing multiple versions it takes up a lot of room.

Brett

Brett Spiegel

Return to posts index

gerd guegelRe: CS5 export problem
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:02:14 pm

I had the same problem. Everything else than qt worked fine, with qt you couldn't even change the settings (small windows poped up and disappeared in a fraction of a second).
This was a new setup, fresh OS (snow leopard, QT7 installed as well), fresh CS5 install, 8-core....
Even new scene with standard setting couldn't render out in Quicktime.

Did some testing today and found the solution. The problem on my system is Optical Flare by videocopilot. If you initialize it once, afx won't be able to render out to quicktime. At least this is the case with CS5 on Snow leopard.
What to do....:
Remove all the optical flare plug-ins from your scenery and save.
Go to User/Library/preferences/adobe/After Effects and delete all prefs.
Start afx and it will be able to render out qt as expected.

BUT, if you open/active optical flare ONCE, you will have the same problem again. If you need to use it, render out in e.g. Tiffs. After that, quit afx, delete prefs....and you will be able to render qt again (but not if you open an optical flares accessing scene.

hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]