ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Calculating "Actual CPUs used" in multiprocessing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naveen MallikarjunaCalculating "Actual CPUs used" in multiprocessing
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:43:45 pm

Am I calculating this wrong? I'm trying to figure out how AE gets it's "Actual CPUs that will be used".

I have 16 GB of RAM. 3 GB is dedicated to other apps, so that leaves 13 GB for AE and the other Adobe vid apps. Right now, they are all NOT running, only AE is running.

So that's 13 GB for AE.

I have 16 CPUs available total. 6 are reserved for other apps. So that leaves me with (potentially) 10 to use for AE.

If I set the RAM allocation per CPU to 3 GB, and since I have 13 GB available, I would think that would mean 4 CPUs would be used (since that means 12 GB total, the most that can be utilized out of 13 GB).

Instead, it only uses 3 CPUs. What exactly determines this number?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Calculating "Actual CPUs used" in multiprocessing
by on Jun 22, 2010 at 12:52:34 am

You're not counting the foreground application. The 3 that is reported is the number of background rendering processes. The foreground process needs to be running, too, and it takes 1,2x the RAM that you've allocated to each background process.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Naveen MallikarjunaRe: Calculating "Actual CPUs used" in multiprocessing
by on Jun 22, 2010 at 2:05:21 pm

An answer from the man himself. Thanks Todd!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved