ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

create strong backlight

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christoffer Matssoncreate strong backlight
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 8:38:59 pm

Hi! Im working on a sequence where there's going to be a huge explosion of energy, similar to a nuclear blast.
This blast is going to generate a strong backlight to some skyscrapers that will be shown on camera. I want strong sharp edges to the shadows and "light streaks" at the corners of the buildings. I will create the buildings in 3ds max.

So my real question is: Should I make this backligt effect in after effects or in 3ds max, and how?

Ps, I own Video Copilots Optical flares and tried to create this but I didn't get the result i was looking for.

Any help is highly appreciated

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: create strong backlight
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:22:02 pm

I would say, to make it look good, you will need to create it in both. Have a big light in your 3d program and add any extra effects (like light streaks) in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey KaplanRe: create strong backlight
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:23:33 pm

[Christoffer Matsson] "I want strong sharp edges to the shadows and "light streaks" at the corners of the buildings."

Since you are modeling the skyscrapers in 3D max - I would render out a separate shadow pass of your "hard edged" shadows for composite. As for the light streaks - do you happen to have trapcode Shine? If not - try CC shine and see if that gives you the desired effect.

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST
Animation & VFX Department
http://www.point360west.com

Return to posts index

Jeffrey KaplanRe: create strong backlight
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:29:03 pm

Sorry not CC Shine - CC Light Burst. My mind was still thinking Trapcode...

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST
Animation & VFX Department
http://www.point360west.com

Return to posts index

Christoffer MatssonRe: create strong backlight
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:39:18 pm

thank you for the tip! the trapcode "shine" effects is exacly what I was looking for in the light streaks! I can't beleave you guys responded so quickly :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]