ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Myers
How to question
on Jun 21, 2010 at 4:47:52 pm

Okay, didn't see this in the FAQ. I have what I think is a simple task, but I cannot figure it out. Here is the background ... My client wants a transition scene that will be in line with their overall branding, which is everything has a red hue to it in their photography.

A. I have two assets I am trying to composite:

1. A short background video that has a very red tone to it. Notice the dark vignetting around the edges. I really like that, but as you'll see I lose it in a minute.

2. A 3D animation of my client's hardware product:

Note that the black background is alpha channel, so this appears isolated.

When I composite these the product seems stark because it doesn't have a red feel to it:

If I just add a red layer and use a blend of "Add" and opacity of 50% the hardware looks just right:

But it also applies to the video layer below, and the red layer detracts from that layer:

How can I have the red layer only affect the hardware animation, and not the video below it? I am sure there is a simple answer, but I haven't been able to find it just yet.

Thanks!

Neil Myers
Connect Public Relations
CS4 Master Suite, 3DS

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: How to question
on Jun 21, 2010 at 5:15:12 pm

Hi Neil,

Duplicate your animation layer and put it above the red layer. Then on the red layer, set the track matte to alpha matte. AE will use the alpha channel to cut out all the red in the alpha area. Also, I couldn't help but notice that in your background "scanning" is spelled "scaning".

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Neil Myers
on Jun 21, 2010 at 5:28:36 pm

Jason:

Thanks! That works perfectly. Now I will go find some tutorials on track mattes so I fully understand for future projects.

Also, great eyes on the typo. This was a stock video, so I will return for a refund and find a better option.

I love Creative Cow. What a great resource.

Neil Myers
Connect Public Relations
CS4 Master Suite, 3DS

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 21, 2010 at 5:45:04 pm

[Neil Myers] "Jason:

Thanks! That works perfectly. Now I will go find some tutorials on track mattes so I fully understand for future projects.

Also, great eyes on the typo. This was a stock video, so I will return for a refund and find a better option."

You're welcome!

[Neil Myers] "I love Creative Cow. What a great resource."

I agree!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 24, 2010 at 5:20:28 am

Information about track mattes is here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]