ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Kellycompression
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:41:40 am

i have a comp that, when rendered is about 33 gig. i would like to get this down to fit on a DVD so around 4 gig. what would be the best compressor to do this?

thank you.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: compression
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 3:09:14 pm

are you talking about burning a data dvd, or a dvd that is playable in a dvd player (or a computer with a media player)?

if you want a dvd that is playable in a dvd player, many dvd authoring apps will convert the media to dvd standard mpeg-2 and burn it. unless your media is longer than 2 hours, i doubt you'd have any problems fitting it onto a dvd.

if you want a data dvd, then you should try a compression utility to compress you file (you might try adobe's media encoder, it should have come with ae8 and up).

mpeg-2 or h.264 should get you good quality for the data rate, but you'll also want to think about the container... i think i'd try a .mp4 with h.246, rather than, say a .mov with h.246. the .mp4 should open in players other than quicktime... same for a .wmv, which would need win media player or a qt plugin.

of course if you know that the machine the disc will be taken to has qt or wmp, then container will not be a problem.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: compression
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 4:21:59 pm

What is your intended delivery? Are there specific requirements on format, resolution, and codec?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved