COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Brown
Stop Motion Effect
on Jun 19, 2010 at 9:20:09 am

Okay guys....I have been driving myself crazy trying trying
to find out to do this effect for a loong time,but I cannot
find a tutorial for this...I wanna learn how to freeze a part
of my video,zoom in and then have it play again.
If you guys can kindly show or give me a tutorial on how to do
this in Adobe After Effects CS4...I will be one happy camper!!! Please help me!! these vids below are exactly what I'm trying to do! Thanks a lot guys!!

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Stop Motion Effect
on Jun 19, 2010 at 2:49:05 pm

This is a very basic nudge in the right direction to get you going until you find a tutorial or someone gives a more in-depth answer ...

Pre-compose the footage you want to freeze and either export the desired freeze frames as stills or use time remapping to keyframe start and stop points. Then, use an AE camera to zoom in on the freeze frames. Obviously you'll lose resolution if you zoom in on footage that's already full-rez so, if that's not acceptable for what you need, you can zoom out on the main footage, then zoom back in for the freeze frames.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Jun 19, 2010 at 3:21:13 pm

It's a bit more than that. Freezing the frame, changing the colour and then zooming in I'm sure you can work out yourself.

But in the first video after the freeze, the person 'slides' over the background in a 3D kind of way. You can see how it's done pretty easilly in that video since they haven't done it very well.
You cut out the person from the background using masks, and possibly other elements too. Then you position them behind one another in 3D space and resize them so they more than cover the 'hole' left behind in the background. Then you can move the camera in.

If you look carefully at the first video you can see a rather rough mask drawn around the people, and when the camera moves you can even briefly see bits of the hole left behind in the background.

You can also take the image into photoshop and draw in the hole to allow for more movement.

Here is the excellent Andrew Kramer with a tutorial about this technique: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/virtual_3d_photos/.
In your case you use this technique on the freeze frame after you've stopped the video.

Hope this helps,

--------------
Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Johnny Brown
on Jun 20, 2010 at 4:06:20 am

thanks guys,buy the way Jon Bagge....I clicked on the
tutorial link you gave me...I see they are teaching it
in CS3...does it work in CS4 the same way?

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Jun 20, 2010 at 2:42:07 pm

I can't see why not. CS3 and 4 are pretty similar.

--------------
Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]