ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Exporting/rendering composition with AME taking 8 hours.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ezyo PoExporting/rendering composition with AME taking 8 hours.
by on Jun 19, 2010 at 1:37:05 am

Hello everybody,

I'm slowly getting sick of rendering compositions (720p), trying many different settings and everytime getting stuck with rendertimes of 6-8 hours for a five miinute video. I chose the H.264 codec and it outputs to an about 250 MB in size MP4 file. I honestly do not know how to solve this, but I do know that I want to cut the rendertimes by at least a half, to 3 or 4 hours.
Please, please help me.

Best regards,

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Exporting/rendering composition with AME taking 8 hours.
by on Jun 19, 2010 at 2:32:08 pm

5 minutes is a pretty long AE comp so it's hard to say whether you're render times are truly excessive without more details. That said, things you can do to reduce render times:

• turn off OpenGL
  • add more RAM to the machine if it's not already maxed out
  • pre-render as much as possible (nested comps, etc.)
  • make sure all sources are on a fast hard drive or RAID
  • read sources from and write renders to separate drives
  • close unnecessary programs and background processes to dedicate RAM & processor power to AE
  • check AE's "Improve Performance" page in the online help for more tips:

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: Exporting/rendering composition with AME taking 8 hours.
by on Jun 19, 2010 at 3:30:29 pm

Never ever render straight to H.264 (or any other compressed format for that matter) directly from AE.

Render to an uncompressed format, animation codec, or ideally a tiff/png sequence. Then use Adobe media encoder, appple compressor, sorenson or another program to encode to H.264 using multipass.

Ae can only use a single pass when encoding, so does a very bad job of making interframe compression formats.

Also depending on your particular computer setup (which we know nothing about) encoding h.264 at the same time as a render can slow you down.

Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved