ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I: make trapcode particles circle around a cylinder

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Worsell
How do I: make trapcode particles circle around a cylinder
on Jun 17, 2010 at 6:29:35 am

I'm having trouble figuring this out, depsite a lot of hunting and pecking at Trapcode Particular.

I have a cylinder, which I have masked in After Effects. I wont to create particles that swirl in a circle right around the cylinder. But I can't seem to figure out how to get Particular to do that. The emitters seem to be very limiting: a point or a sphere, etc.

I can't seem to get this one. Can anyone point me in the right direction? A tutorial that is on point, or just a technique to get me in the right direction. I'm pretty capable of taking it from there if I can figure this one part out.

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
Re: How do I: make trapcode particles circle around a cylinder
on Jun 17, 2010 at 10:35:44 am

Hi,

You might find it easier to use a light as your emitter, as you can then parent the light to a Null and then animate that any way you want in 3D space. So, for example, if you offset the light from the Null to match the diameter of your cylinder, parent the light to the Null, and then set the Null rotating, your light - and your particle emitter - will spin in a circle.

Return to posts index

Sean Worsell
on Aug 17, 2010 at 1:21:05 am

Belated thank you for this suggestion!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:33:44 pm

Do you mean like a fairy running around the cylinder in a circle leaving a trail behind? If so, the obscuration part of this tutorial would probably be helpful.

If you mean more along the lines of a bunch of particles swirling around it in a circular direction, then look into creating a tall and narrow emitter, moving it around the cylinder and perhaps using the motion path option.

From the Particular help file:
The Motion Path feature makes it possible to precisely control the path that a particle takes after being emitted. This is done by setting keyframes for a comp Light in After Effects and naming the Light to start with the name "Motion Path" followed by a number between 1 and 9. This keyframed Light lets you control the path that particles travel after being born. Motion Path is useful when precise control of the particle path is needed.
Check in your Particular help files for more info. You may need several Particular layers and several lights to make it look the way you want it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 17, 2010 at 8:57:54 pm

...and here's my, "I don't know much about Particular", no-brainer approach:

Make 2 3-D Nulls; rename 'em "Center" and Radius". Move the Radius null the desired distance away from the Center null. Pick-whip the Particular Emitter position to the Radius position. Now animate the Center null to rotate on one axis and to change position along another axis.

Hey, it might work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean Worsell
on Aug 17, 2010 at 1:21:28 am

Hey, this is good info. A belated thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]