ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stabilizing not working with Dynamic Link

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin BowserStabilizing not working with Dynamic Link
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:29:05 am

I'm editing a project in Premiere Pro CS5, and I've got a shot that needs stabilized. I clicked the clip in my timeline and selected "Replace with After Effects Composition". In After Effects, I stabilized the clip, and now it looks fine, but when I hit save and jump back to Premiere Pro, the clip isn't stabilized the same way.

The clip IS animating, because I can see the edges of the frame jumping around, but the stabilization is not the same. In After Effects, the shot is as it should be, but in Premiere, the shot is still jumping around. Anyway have any ideas what could be going on?

Return to posts index

Dustin BowserRe: Stabilizing not working with Dynamic Link
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 7:56:18 pm

It actually appears that there is some sort of weird time offset glitch happening that is the reason the composition is different between After Effects CS5 and Premiere. I worked on another shot where I tracked a corner pin in Mocha and applied a screen replacement, then used the roto tool to cut out the portions of the image that intersect with the screen. In after effects, the comp looks fine, but when I click save and swap back over to Premiere, the roto matte is slightly offset in time, by a frame or two. Check out the attached images. The first image is a frame from the Comp in After Effects, and the second image is the exact same frame as it appears in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stabilizing not working with Dynamic Link
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 8:02:39 pm

What happens if you just blow off Dynamic Link and render the composite out of AE?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2010 at 8:07:31 pm

It looks the way it should -- which is a fine workaround. I just want to know why the Dynamic Link behavior is acting up.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2010 at 8:18:02 pm

I wish I had a clue. All I know is that Adobe bought both AE and Premiere from different software developers. Dynamic Link is Adobe's way to get applications with different data structures, coding conventions and such to talk to each other.

The fact that the thing works AT ALL is remarkable, but I wouldn't think of Dynamic Link as the epitome of reliability.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2010 at 9:01:29 pm

Fair enough, though one of Adobe's huge selling points is CS5 and their ability to swap between applications like this.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2010 at 9:06:39 pm

Yeah, I know. Adobe also says AE supports mp3 files.

Good luck with that: you might be able to use mp3's for reference purposes, but God help you if you try to use mp3's when rendering audio with video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bill engelerRe: Stabilizing not working with Dynamic Link
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:51:45 am

Do you have the problem when you export the footage, or is it just in the preview window? I've found that it often issn't very pretty in the preview, but renders fine.

Adobe did buy After Effects from another company - in 1994. Premiere was always developed by Adobe.

Return to posts index

Tom DowlerRe: Stabilizing not working with Dynamic Link
by on May 21, 2011 at 11:27:23 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm having precisely the same issue.

I right-click a clip on the timeline in Prem, choose "replace with After Effects composition" - it opens AE with a comp with my clip in.

Then I stabilize my motion in AE and it looks awesome. Hit save, and something updates in Prem.

When I play back the timeline in prem, the clip jumps around and I see the black edges pop in and out, but it is not smooth like it was in AE. If I export from AE and import the export file into Prem it's fine.

To answer Bill's last point, if I export from Prem, and bring the exported file back into Prem, it looks just as hideous as the dynamic link clip did on the timeline.

This is an annoyance - obviously I can export from AE, but that almost defeats the point of using dynamic link in the first place. if anyone has any great ideas I'd love to hear them.

I almost wonder it's anything to do with the fact that the tracker in AE writes the keyframes to the "anchor point" property of the clip, not the position, and premiere doesn't know what to do with the anchor point info...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]