ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Comp to audio editing format, ie XML?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Mullen
AE Comp to audio editing format, ie XML?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:59:04 pm

Possibly a scripting challenge?

How can I get an AE comp, with multiple layers and specific timeline arrangements, and turn it into an identical sequence in ProTools/Logic/Digital Performer? AE comp to XML, OMF, etc?

I'd like the comp layers to come across as they are (it's video with audio, so ideally the audio sequence would be the audio similarly layered). Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE Comp to audio editing format, ie XML?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:48:23 pm

As you say, this may be a job for scripts. That would be the only way to do it, but I don't know if anyone's ever bothered to attempt it.

There's a good reason why, too: In AE, audio is an afterthought, and can't export XML files. AE has never been the brightest candle in the chandelier when working with audio. Not ever. It's primarily a VIDEO effects and compositing application.

If you're a newcomer to AE, I fear you've learned a harsh lesson.
If you're an AE veteran, you should have your head examined for attempting it in the first place.
And I wish you the best of luck in your quest for a script.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Mullen
on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:38:27 am

The whole reason to do this would be so keep audio work OUT of AE. Yeah, I've used the program for a while (Company of Science and Art, anyone?) - and no, I'd never touch audio in it, not really even a consideration. But if you're doing real video (with audio) compositing, instead of in-the-box animation, it would be really useful to take AE comps and get that same sequence to appear in an audio NLE. E.g., I have 14 layers of video w/ audio, being used in a complex montage sequence, and the audio on each of those tracks needs to get added to a matching mix. If my AE comp could be the source for that kind of sequence data, it would be, well, nice.

I'll ask over where the scripters hang out.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 17, 2010 at 3:25:16 pm

I understand how this might be handy, but truthfully, I've never had any problems, even with multiple video/audio layers, simply rendering video-only and adding it to an NLE's edit timeline.

You keep track of your times, the frames you've trimmed, and you're good to go... plus it's a far easier and faster audio remix in the NLE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]