ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason BoyerMotion Tracking?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 3:42:52 pm

I have a shot where the camera is tilted down at the ground, then I tilt up to see a wide shot of a golf course. On the ground, I wish to have text that actually looks like it is was sprayed on the ground. When completed the shot will look like the camera is looking at the text and then tilts up to see the golf course.
The problem I have is that the text never looks right when I start to tilt the camera. Because I tilt the camera the text needs to go off the screen with the same speed of the tilt while maintaining that it is angled according to the ever changing plane of the ground. Any suggestions on pulling this off? Would motion tracking help or should I just stick with adjusting the position of the text according to each frame? Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Motion Tracking?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:40:49 pm

Best way to do this is to do a 3d camera track using Boujou or Syntheyes, export the camera data to AE and use that camera (with settings as close as possible to the camera that shot the golf course) to shoot text positioned in 3d space to match the plane of the grass.
You can also try to use mocha, but I'm not sure that planar tracking will solve this.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Motion Tracking?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:50:57 pm

If it's just the camera tilting up, I think a good track with Mocha should work. Here is a page with a bunch of good resources for motion tracking.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Christopher R. GreenRe: Motion Tracking?
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 9:40:40 am

or PFHoe Pro, which is the most affordable, but still extremely powerful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved