ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE5 on older Mac Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul KondoAE5 on older Mac Pro
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 3:34:15 pm

Maybe my search skills are worse than I think. I would've thought this would be easier to find.

I have the following setup:

MacPro 1,1
Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2.66 Ghz
10GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1900XT
Snow Leopard

I'm currently running CS4 and if there a good enough benefit, performance-wise, to upgrade to CS5, I will do it. This is in relation to After Effects. Any benefits to the other CS apps is a plus but not critical.

So, I guess the question is if, with this older machine configuration, where will I see performance improvements?

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE5 on older Mac Pro
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:04:30 pm

It's difficult to say if AE 10 is the thing for you.

Do you do a lot of rotoscoping?
Do you work with really big still images?
Do you do a lot of HD work?
Would you REALLY like to be able to bend a layer in 3D space?
Would you like to be able to work with almost every common kind of HDV video in its acquisition codec?

If the answer to any of the above is "yes", you should seriously consider getting it.
But be warned: since you have one dual-core processor, you probably won't see any big speed improvements; multiprocessing is out of the question.

If you haven't seen all the changes from AE 9 to AE 10, I urge you to check them out:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS8269FE00-C552-478b-9204...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul KondoRe: AE5 on older Mac Pro
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:26:59 pm

Thanks Dave.

Just to clarify, I have 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeons. Made a mistake in my earlier post.

I haven't done any rotoscoping to date. Most of my footage is HD. I'm a pretty novice user right now but would like to do more. I guess I just get frustrated with waiting on previews and rendering. Not sure if CS5 will help in that aspect given my computer's specs.

Paul

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:33:14 pm

[Paul Kondo] "I'm a pretty novice user right now.... I guess I just get frustrated with waiting on previews and rendering."

That's part of the job in AE: you can't get around it. Nobody can.

I've learned that most new users use the term "long render time" when they actually mean "not real time" or "not instantaneous".

For now, it you have better places to put your money, I'd put it in those places. AE 9 is still a very sophisticated effects and compositing tool, and you can learn a lot using it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:14:45 pm

Thanks for the help. That link was especially helpful.

Another question would be if my RAM previews would be better in CS5 because of the ability to use more RAM. Specifically, would the RAM previews be quicker or would I be able to see longer green bars or both (or neither).

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:22:17 pm

[Paul Kondo] "...would the RAM previews be quicker or would I be able to see longer green bars or both..."

Both. But you'll need what's probably an astonishing amount of RAM to you. AE is extremely RAM intensive and even more in AE 10. I would start with 4GB PER CORE, and then double it. AE will use all the RAM you throw at it.

I'd guess you haven't been using multiprocessing much. If you have, you won't see any great speed increases. I'd also only use 2 cores for multiprocessing.

But the length of your previews would go way up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin KnutsonRe: AE5 on older Mac Pro
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 8:15:51 pm

I agree with Dave. Your render times are probably pretty much on par. It kind of goes to the ol saying "Good things are worth waiting for". If you're a self proclaimed novice in AE, then CS4 is plenty machine right now. It still has great features, and will get most jobs done, and done well.

Plus, it never hurts to download the trial, and see how it works out for you.

K

Return to posts index

Beau HollandRe: AE5 on older Mac Pro
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:08:16 pm

Will CS5 work on a non 64bit machine?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:15:05 pm

It will NOT. It is exclusively 64-bit. There is NO 32-bit version.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Beau HollandRe: AE5 on older Mac Pro
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:20:13 pm

So Im correct in assuming htat the below machine would NOT be compatible.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Thanks,
Beau

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:24:32 pm

Beau,

You and I have the exact same machine. My understanding although the experts that are helping us can confirm is that if you are running Snow Leopard, you can use CS5. I was reading about this this morn before I asked my question here.

You can't boot into 64bit mode but you can run 64bit app like CS5 as 64bit. The way I understand it is that you won't see ALL the benefits of 64bit but you will see a bunch.

Now, let's see if I'm right. ;-)

Paul

Return to posts index

Uli PlankRe: AE5 on older Mac Pro
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 12:16:04 pm

AE CS5 is running fine on a Dual-Xeon even under 10.5.7 or above, I just tested it. Apple is handling 64-bit differently than Microsoft. I second the note about RAM, get as much as you can.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Kevin KnutsonRe: AE5 on older Mac Pro
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:20:08 pm

This is taken straight from the install disc readme:

"Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and Adobe After Effects CS5 32-bit vs. 64-bit support

Windows versions of Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and Adobe After Effects CS5 require a 64-bit edition of Windows Vista or Windows 7. This applies to both the standalone versions of the applications as well as the components of Production Premium CS5.

You cannot install or run Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 or After Effects CS5 on any of following operating systems:

• 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows XP Home or Professional
• 32-bit editions of Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or
Enterprise
• 32-bit editions of Windows 7 Starter, Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate
If you are using a 32-bit operating system, Adobe recommends that you upgrade to either:
• 64-bit edition of Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise
• 64-bit edition of Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate

To ease the transition to a 64-bit operating system, Production Premium CS5 and Master Collection CS5 include a support package that contains 32-bit versions of Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and After Effects CS4.

Until you upgrade to a compatible 64-bit operating system, you can install and use the 32-bit support package included with your purchase. After you upgrade to a qualified 64-bit operating system, you can install and use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and After Effects CS5."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]