ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Show altered footage to be reloaded?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katherine LandgrebeShow altered footage to be reloaded?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 8:57:18 am

Hello,

how do I know, which footage has changed, so I have to reload it in AE? My associate works on AI files, which I put into an AE comp to animate. But she has to change some text elements from time to time, and is sometimes not available when I work on it. So, do I have to reload ALL layers at a venture? Or is there a possibility to show layeres whose source file has changed? Like in Indesign the little yellow triangle?

Thanks.

P.S. I use CS4

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Show altered footage to be reloaded?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 3:03:25 pm

It's difficult to give you a useful answer. Illustrator documents can contain one layer or many layers. They can contain bitmapped or vector layers.

If you use a standard form of animation on Illustrator layers that may change in content but not in dimensions, you can always import a new Illustrator document as a comp, open the layers folder that accompanies it ("Filename.layers"), select a layer and use it to replace a layer in the AE comp. All the blend modes, track mattes, effects and animated properties used in the layer that is replaced will still be there.

To replace footage on a Mac, highlight the layer to be replaced in the timeline. In the project window, select the replacement Illustrator layer and Option-Drag it into the timeline. I guess you would Alt-Drag on a Windows box.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Katherine LandgrebeRe: Show altered footage to be reloaded?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 3:16:38 pm

Thanks, Dave.
Yes, I know about the ways to replace footage. But I'm talkiing about reloading. I know how to do that either, but the point is, I don't know WHICH footage has been changed by my associate while I've been away. I use AI vector layers which don't change dimensions or anything. Just small corrections like text or color. I just want to update my associate's changes. What I'm looking for is something like an automatic reminder, which original footage has been changed meanwhile. For now she has to write me notes like "I have changed layer 01 in file name.ai and layer xyz in file nameless.ai" etc. for she has no access to my After Effects. The principle: She prepares the Illustrator files, I use them in After Effects.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:45:17 pm

Ah, I see the problem: if a layer in an Illustrator file is changed, the changes to that file are automatically reflected in After Effects. AE doesn't TELL you a layer in a file has been changed, and I don't think it can.

You would have to use a script to do this, and I don't know if one exists.

If you haven't searched for one at the AE Enhancers web site, it's a good starting point:
http://aenhancers.com/

Si vous connaissez Francais, cherchez ici aussi:
http://nabscripts.com/index.html

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:40:02 pm

Ah, ok. If this happens automatically, that would be perfect. But strange enough, this morning I rendered my movie without manually updating the files, and it kept the old file which had been changed meanwhile. No automatical reflection. :( So I guess, something went wrong.

I also had two layers which could not be manually updated. I had to relink them to get the changes in AE. Might be a similar problem.

Well, anyways, at least I know that AE doesn't indicate a change, and I will look for a script and post it as soon as I find domething useful.

Thanks, Dave, have a good day.

Katherine

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:42:32 pm

Actually Katherine, you're not wrong, I was wrong in my description. For the automatic changes to take place you have to close the AE project and open it again. I've never had to do this -- I've only used AE's Edit Original feature -- so you might even have to Quit AE and start it up again. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:13:13 pm

Oh, yes, that's right. Thanks, that helps a lot. I'll keep this in mind when working on future projects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]