ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Recommendations for 3d programs for creating animated sequences?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
Recommendations for 3d programs for creating animated sequences?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:03:07 am

I want to learn another program to create animated sequences, bumpers and intros for web shows. Which 3D programs are commonly used for this? Which ones would you recommend investing time into learning? What is the main programs out there for doing this?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Recommendations for 3d programs for creating animated sequences?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:04:10 am

Maxon Cinema 4D. No question. It integrates well with After Effects and allows you to make changes pretty easily, in my opinion.

If you want to stay in AE, you could get the Zaxwerks Invigorator plugin, but I hit the wall pretty quickly with it and went to a 3D app for greater power and flexibility.I went to Lightwave, but found it rather inflexible in a world where clients make changes that ripple through the workflow. Cinema 4D suits me just fine.

Return to posts index

Joe Moya
on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:51:41 pm

Zaxwerks is by far the easiest to learn and use for 3D applications that are simple... however, it is also the most limited in rendering capapcity and can get really bogged down in HD projects (...however, this may change with the new 64 bit version). If your projects are basic animation for TV text/logo work... Zaxwerks is designed for this type of stuff.

On the other hand, if you are wanting more than simplicity... then, Cinema 4D is a good choice to use with AE. However, it is more complex and will have a much steaper learning curve and higher cost.

IMHO, they are both good and useful for different purposes. While C4D is good for most everything, it is also overkill when it comes to doing simple stuff. While Zaxwerks has shortfalls when it comes to doing complicated 3D projects... it makes the simple things fast and easy to accomplish with a short learning curve.

Before you buy... I would suggest you look at a lot of tutuorials for both and see which best fits for your situation.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 16, 2010 at 1:37:18 pm

Another vote for C4D. The MoGraph module is especially useful.

I would also take a look at Blender. It's open source, free, flexible and extensible, and it has a vibrant community. Paolo Ciccone here on the COW has put together some amazing resources: an After Effects Exporter for Blender, the Blender Survival Guide, and a Blender forum.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jun 17, 2010 at 2:54:18 pm

Speaking of the Mograph module, I use it whenever I want to make "a bunch of something" in any C4D project ... not just motion graphics. It's indispensable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]