ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need an expert in AE. Weird render problem.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Green
Need an expert in AE. Weird render problem.
on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:04:44 am

I have a very weird problem that started today with After Effects. Everything from video footage to basic text slide are not able to fully render. I hit 0 on the keyboard and green bar goes about half way then stops,and the comp starts playing from the beginning. These arent big comps either. 25 seconds at most.
Ive played these clips in Premiere and they run perfectly fine. This problem just started today and its driving me CRAZY!
I have a core i7 with 6gb RAM. Windows 7 x64. CS5.
Ive tried resetting preferences. Still no luck. Very weird.
Anyone have any idea what this could be?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Need an expert in AE. Weird render problem.
on Jun 15, 2010 at 1:06:43 pm

Did AE used to RAM preview the whole comp?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Walter Soyka
on Jun 15, 2010 at 1:12:52 pm

This is not really a render problem -- rendering usually refers to outputting a file via the Render Queue, but technically refers to generating previews as well.

This problem isn't all that weird, either. When you 0 on the numeric keypad, it starts a RAM preview. When AE runs out of RAM, it stops rendering preview frames and starts playing.

You are running CS5, so the solution is very simple: buy more RAM. After Effects is incredibly memory-intensive, and 6 GB is nothing. I wouldn't order an AE workstation with less than 16 GB of RAM, and I'd prefer 24 to 32 GB.

Cheaper options including setting RAM preview to skip frames or to preview at reduced resolution; both of these will decrease RAM requirements and extend preview length. You could also close other open applications to make more RAM available to AE.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:08:57 pm

I have 8GB on a Mac Pro, and I never, EVER expect to get a RAM preview on a rypical comp duration for me, 30 seconds. In SD.

AE will pretty much use all the RAM available to it, so quit all your open applications and try again. You should also understand that AE 10 can utilize 4GB PER CORE, plus a few extra GB for good measure.

I'm working with a friend of mine on a new computer for home. She's a Windows IT tech lady, and her husband runs Adobe products on a brand-new Mac Pro. We figure I'm going to need a good 36 GB.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:20:39 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You should also understand that AE 10 can utilize 4GB PER CORE"

32-bit AE CS3 and CS4 could address 4 GB per core.

A single instance of 64-bit AE CS5 can address all the RAM in your computer. For long comps in HD, where a single frame weighs in at 7.9 MB, memory goes fast.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Aaron Green
on Jun 15, 2010 at 4:10:27 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. Ive made comps that were strictly graphics and longer than 30 seconds, and previewed with RAM preview. Its not letting me go more than 15 seconds or so. Im having my RAM diagnosed as something may have gone wrong with one stick. Ill let you know...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]