ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Move object in an angular...angle?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam PietraszekMove object in an angular...angle?
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 10:19:34 pm

Best way to explain this is with an example:
I have a layer which is a small star. I want it to move across the screen along an angular line drawn on the background.
The angles are *sharp* - for the sake of explanation, let's say they look like this: \/\/\/
So: I place my star at the beginning of the line, click the stopwatch. Move a second ahead on the timeline, reposition the star to the first angle, add a keyframe. Move ahead a second on the timeline, but from this point forward, the "path" or "trail" that the object is creating behind it, that it will travel on is curved - not sharp. How do I turn this off?
I know that if I was making a path I can turn of roto-bezier, but I'm not making a path for 2 reasons:
1. I can only make text move along a path - I can't figure out how to make a layer move along a path.
2. I have a mask that will uncover the background just ahead of the star so it looks like the star is actually leaving the background line behind as a "trail."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Move object in an angular...angle?
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 10:24:16 pm

Simple: highlight all the keyframes and right-click on them. Go to Keyframe Interpolation. Select Linear. You're done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam PietraszekRe: Move object in an angular...angle?
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 2:47:11 pm

Worked great - thank you!
(it's nice to learn something new and add it to my own "knowledge database")

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Move object in an angular...angle?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:10:46 am

You can also change the default behavior of keyframes in the Preferences > General section by selecting "Default Spatial Interpolation to Linear."

Also, you can copy a mask shape keyframe and paste it into the position property. Which can be handy in certain circumstances :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved