ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Weird text bug in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CampbellWeird text bug in AE
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:03:11 pm

Hi, all. I was working on a simple project recently, and tried applying a time-stretch effect to a track. When the window appeared for me to enter my new duration (h;mm;ss;ff), the line in which I type in the duration doesn't echo any of my characters. In fact, it seems to have a couple of very strange non-keyboard squigglies in the field. If I highlight the entire field in an effort to clear out the little garbage characters, they just remain even after I type.

The good news is that it doesn't seem to bother the application of the effect. The time-stretch still worked, but I just need to be very careful while I'm typing. This only seems to be happening in AE (CS4) rather than my Mac itself, which is why I'm posting here. Has anyone seen such a thing? Thanks.

(Mac Pro/Leopard/2GB RAM/AE CS4)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Weird text bug in AE
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:10:10 pm

[Paul Campbell] "....tried applying a time-stretch effect to a track."

Could you please clarify?

Do you mean you've done a motion track, and now you're trying to alter the elapsed time of the motion track? Or do you mean you've time-stretched some footage, and you now want to apply a motion track to it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul CampbellRe: Weird text bug in AE
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:28:57 pm

Sorry, Dave. I have a motion track (a simple image slide-show collage) that wound up being about 5 seconds too long, so I shortened it using Time Stretch.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:33:57 pm

Well, if the motion track is too long, why not simply trim up the layer to which the track was applied, or get rid of the extraneous keyframes on that layer?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:39:52 pm

I'm not doubting that my workflow needs improvement, but for now I'm just trying to figure out this weird bug. I've seen it happen for other effects, not just this one. It just makes it tougher to work when you can't see what you're typing, that's all.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Weird text bug in AE
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 9:03:33 pm

You mean "layer", not "track", right?

For now, why not scrub the Time Stretch value in the timeline until the end of the layer ends up where you want it?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2010 at 9:20:52 pm

Steve, yes. I meant "layer". Sorry, I've spent way too much time doing audio editing, so my video vocabulary isn't quite automatic yet. Anyway, I was able to trim up the layer. Now I just need to make this bug go away. Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2010 at 9:29:38 pm

I'm glad you've got your wits about you, Steve. I wish I did.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2010 at 10:35:48 pm

I meant that I had the time thing fixed way before I posted my question about the bug. I still need to fix that, since there are other things in AE that it's impacting.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Weird text bug in AE
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 2:04:24 am

There should be a post on the COW about AE bug reports. I know it might not fix it right away, but you should send a report.

Here. Try this.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2010 at 12:38:24 pm

Thanks, Steve. I went ahead and posted the bug report, but it states clearly that it's unlikely I'll get a reply. Wow, this sucks. If I can't even get a reply from Adobe here, I'm not sure how to resolve this. I appreciate your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]