ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jeweled skin effect from Twilight

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharon JamesonJeweled skin effect from Twilight
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:19:44 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should approach this effect?

The image of the woman is what we shot. She is wearing glitter make-up to start with the effect.

I would like to get to the look that you see in the two screen shots from the movie.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

Sharon

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Jeweled skin effect from Twilight
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:41:52 pm

i would use find edges controlled by a selectable alpha mask to get the edges that you want, then apply the glow effect. For the non-edges, use the animation preset bloom or glow controlled by a definable color luma mask.

You can get really nice prism effects by putting a shift r,g,b for each color, setting each to screen, then vignette edges with optics compensation effect.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Jeweled skin effect from Twilight
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:52:07 pm

...and to get get those reflections to follow body movements, you can buy Syntheyes to do 3D tracking, Particular for the gliitter itself, and enough surface modeling using Freeform to drive you into the insane asylum!

Or you could simply buy a tube of glitter makeup and use some imaginative editing, I suppose. But where would the craziness-inducing fun be in that, right?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Jeweled skin effect from Twilight
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:17:37 pm

you might be able to use trapcode's starglow (see examples)... it works like the glow effect (you define the threshold for the glow), but will give you star-filter-like streaks and also allows for more color mapping of the 'glow' to create a prism-like color effect (it actually has several prism presets).

you will still probably need to mask out highlight areas around the eyes and jewelry... any areas that give extreme hot spots that you don't want to effect.

don't have starglow... here's an old tutorial on how to create your own starglow-like effect (though it's still not as good as starglow):

http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e/ae12_e.html

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Jeweled skin effect from Twilight
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:24:20 pm

Ah, yes; Starglow! Use that in conjunction with a particle effect and you will have great success.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Jeweled skin effect from Twilight
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:22:32 pm

Particular, as Dave mentioned, can be used to get some great sparkles. However, you could probably do it with CC Particle World if you don't have Particular.
I don't know that you would need to do tracking or 3d modeling. As I recall, in the movie the special effect wasn't too terribly advanced like that.
You would just need to do some rotoscoping to isolate the areas where you want the sparkles to appear. (Although, you might get away with keying her skin color, reversing the alpha, and using that as a matte with some rough roto to clean it up.)

From a makeup standpoint, she is not pale enough at all. She looks alive. Vampires are supposed to be very pale/dead. And you could certainly do with some much better glitter makeup too. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sharon JamesonRe: Jeweled skin effect from Twilight
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:56:31 pm

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. There is a lot here to work with.

I am pretty new to AE so I will probably stick to the suggestions that use effects that come with the software at first. I also think I will avoid 3-D at this point. Maybe in a few days I will have more questions if I run into trouble.

By the way, she doesn't need to look like a vampire for what I am doing - and she already has the glitter make-up on.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lanham JrRe: Jeweled skin effect from Twilight
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 5:54:19 am

I duplicated the image layer, created a mask to cover the skin (definitely some rotoscoping involved for video). Then I added Hue/Saturation to bleach out the skin. This effect seems to rely on the highlights in the skin.

The glitter effect comes from a very slightly animated Add Grain effect. Make sure to set it to Monocromatic and set the Blend with Original to Screen.

Next add a Fast Blur.

Then a Glow: 75% Threshold, 1 Radius, 1.5 Intensity. Operation should be set to Add. Animate the Color Phase. Now Precompose the two image layers.

Inside the new Comp, add two Glows, one set to Horizontal, one set to Vertical. This gives you the streaks without blowing out the image. They both should be set to Add and A & B colors. make the colors Yellow and Blue for Glow 1, and Red and Purple for Glow 2. This is as close as I could come to the prismatic effect. There might be a better way but I don't know.

This might be different with motion video but it seems to come pretty close to the effect you seek.

Check the video.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:11:16 pm

Wow, thanks for all the details.

I'm curious. You say "Check the video" at the end. I am new to this forum. Is there a video that you created for me to see as an attachment or a link somewhere? If so, how do I view it?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:28:54 pm

Since this was the first time that I have posted, I am under moderation. I will post the vid as soon as they release it. Sorry.

If worse comes to worse I can post it on YouTube and post the link.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:35:27 pm

Here is the You Tube link.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:54:33 pm

Very Cool!!!!

That works for me. I will try to replicate using your instructions.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2010 at 6:13:24 pm

Would you mind sending me the AE file? I must be missing something. It is not working for me.

Thank you

sharonj@craftmasterpro.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]