ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how much would you charge?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Garciahow much would you charge?
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:05:21 pm

I've just been asked to quote for a job of 1 to 3 minutes of this type of animation. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q75KhAeqJg&feature=related) I don't have that much experience quoting, and I'm wondering if any of you professionals could help me out. How much would you charge per minute including the designs and how much would you charge if they provide the designs? Ball park figure is fine. Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: how much would you charge?
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:39:35 pm

[Francisco Garcia] "I've just been asked to quote for a job of 1 to 3 minutes of this type of animation. I don't have that much experience quoting, and I'm wondering if any of you professionals could help me out. How much would you charge per minute including the designs and how much would you charge if they provide the designs?"

Please don't quote per finished minute; it's a poor substitute for measuring how much of your time and resources the project will actually consume. You will deliver a product, but you are fundamentally selling a process.

I wrote at length about the perils of finished-minute pricing, why clients want finished-minute pricing, and what we can do about it a couple months ago on the Business & Marketing Forum. That entire forum is an amazing resource. Search through there on pricing or setting rates and you will find a wealth of information.

Do you have enough experience to estimate how long this project will take you? Have you calculated what your rate should be (i.e., what are all your expenses, how much can you reasonably expect to work, and what amount of profit should you be making)?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Francisco GarciaRe: how much would you charge?
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 12:13:04 am

cool, thank you, will look into those resources

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]