ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Composition size and resolution problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Baril
Composition size and resolution problem
on Jun 14, 2010 at 2:13:48 pm

Hi, I tried looking on the forum and didn't find the precise answer to my question.
I have a huge psd (it's really huge cause it is for printing on a whole wall).
There is a video that's meant to go with the print, so I imported the whole file with layers in After effect.
Then I animated every part of the image individually.
I know I have been dumb:) I then imported the whole thing into a standard NTSC DV comp. I then scaled the thing down to about 20% so it fits the comp.

Now rendering takes years and the whole thing is really super heavy. I am guessing that scaling down a comp does not reduce it's size, but I do not find any way to truly scale it down (losing quality and all, I do not need such high rez at all). Something like changing the image size in photoshop.

Eventually the animation is gonna go to a part where tiny animated version of the thing will start appearing, if they all use so much ressources my computer will never render it properly.

I tried changing the resolution in the composition setting but that seems to represent the resolution it has IN after effect (in the composition window), not the rendering one, so it's not really usefull to me.

Simply put, how do I truly scale down a composition, losing quality and all (so size!!!)?
Thanks!

Joseph

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Composition size and resolution problem
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:59:32 pm

In a case like yours, the determining factor for comp size is the playback device. If you intend to use a DVD player, then it's 720x480, as you've already made.

And if this photoshop document is as big as you make it sound, you've already alluded to the best way to tackle the problem: make the photoshop document much smaller.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph Baril
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:05:06 pm

But if I resize everything in photoshop I'll have to redo all the animation done so far no?
Or is there a way to refresh the psd already in there with smaller psd files? (keeping all the animation like it is now)
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:08:27 pm

[Joseph Baril] "But if I resize everything in photoshop I'll have to redo all the animation done so far no? "

Indeed you will.

[Joseph Baril] "...is there a way to refresh the psd already in there with smaller psd files? (keeping all the animation like it is now)"

There sure is! In fact, you probably wouldn't even have to remake the document!

Just upgrade your operating system to 64 bits, invest in AE 10 (aka AE CS5) and buy a whole boatload of RAM. I'd figure 36 GB would probably do the trick for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gasper Vovk
on Jun 17, 2010 at 4:37:20 pm

Hi,

if you didn't resolve the issue yet ... Add your comp to renderqueue, and there click the on Render Settings name (it most likely says "Best Settings").

Adjust the resolution pull-down. In your case, if you scaled down to 20%, use Custom setting and adjust values to 5 pixels.

You'll most likely not going to get exact NTSC dimensions, and you'll want the image slightly larger rather than smaller. Adjust the pixel values to lower numbers if so.

Render the file, then import it and scale to fit in a proper NTSC comp.

If you have issues with memory, try using proxies (you'll also have to adjust proxy pulldown in Render Settings to "Use all Proxies"!!), but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hope this is of any help to you.

Cheers
G

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]