ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE CS5 ram previews extremely slow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik WaluskaAE CS5 ram previews extremely slow
by on Jun 13, 2010 at 2:20:06 am

I recently installed CS5 and my RAM previews are painfully slow even with just simple video clips. Scrubbing in the timeline is just as bad - the timeline indicator lags as you try to drag it.

I also have CS3 installed on this machine and it works perfectly with the same preference settings except that CS5 has much more RAM available since it's 64-bit so why on earth would CS5 be so slow???

Strangely, it renders from the queue at the exact same speed as CS3 but RAM previews and timeline interactions are very, very slow.

Here's what I got testing a single layer of video:

1080P clip from artbeats
length: 7:21
24.00 fps
Photo JPEG

33 seconds - Render queue at full resolution
11 seconds - RAM preview at 1/4 resolution

33 seconds - Render queue at full resolution
42 seconds - RAM preview at 1/4 resolution

I tried editing the preferences every way I could think of and nothing seemed to make much of a difference. Multi-processing on/off, different ram allocation settings, disk cache on/off, etc.
I even disabled my anti-virus software based on an article by Todd K. suggesting that it could slow down the read/write process but that made no difference either.

Any ideas?

Windows 7 Professional
Intel Core2duo 2.66GHz
Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
8GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3450
Separate boot and media drives, both Sata-300

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CS5 ram previews extremely slow
by on Jun 13, 2010 at 2:44:20 am

Here's where I tell people to start with questions like this.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: AE CS5 ram previews extremely slow
by on Jun 13, 2010 at 4:51:58 pm

Thanks for the link to FAQ page but I've already been through all of the usual troubleshooting routes and nothing is having any effect, which is why I'm asking for help here.

As I mentioned in my original post, CS3 is working fine and CS5 is rendering at the exact same speed as CS3 from the render queue, but is waaaaaaay slower with RAM previews and timeline interactions. Today, I ran the same test again and it took one minute and forty five seconds to RAM preview the same clip that took CS3 eleven seconds to preview. To me, that means that something is seriously wrong.

I've tried all conceivable configurations for memory allocation and tried to turn multi-processing on and off, enabled/disabled disk cache, turning off anti-virus, etc., etc., etc..

There are no other programs running at the same time so AE is not competing for resources with another app.

Could something have gone wrong with the installation? Does it matter that I have CS3 installed on the same machine? I'm totally stumped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved