ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Copy/Paste motion path, becomes stretched

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Montgomery
Copy/Paste motion path, becomes stretched
on Jun 12, 2010 at 6:07:56 am

Hi all

I created a mask on a null object to serve as a motion path (to get a spot of light to outline an item). When I copy and paste the mask path to the Position property of the object, it follows it just fine, but it appears that the path is now stretched out. The object goes too far outside of the boundaries of the item.

What's the fix?

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Copy/Paste motion path, becomes stretched
on Jun 12, 2010 at 6:10:19 am

Your source and target layers are not of the same resolution. Paste the Null's mask into a Solid that is the same size as the Target layer. Select the mask and transform it as best you can. The proceed as you did previously.

HTH
Roland Kahlenberg

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Jun 12, 2010 at 6:19:32 am

It's all within the same layer. When I copy and paste it into a newly created object, the path matches fine. Even when taking that and copying/pasting into the desired null object, it doesn't match.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Jun 12, 2010 at 6:38:03 am

To be more specific, I'm going by Andrew Kramer's 3d Strobe Effect, just not making it 3D.
I have an object with CC Particle World applied to it to create the effect of a light orb zipping along. A null object has the mask path pasted to its Position property and the Position X and Position Y properties of the Particle object are parented to the position of the null.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Jun 12, 2010 at 6:51:12 am

To be even MORE specific, I've realized the path is fine, even on the null object is matches the original motion path. However the particles object is not following it accurately. I tried recreating new one within the layer to make sure the aspect ratio isn't an issue.

Still confused...

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 12, 2010 at 8:18:25 pm

You created the path on a layer, right? Did the layer have the same H&V resolution AND pixel aspect ratio as the comp? They have to match.

If they don't match, the position information used in the comp won't be the same as the path information of the layer, and that sounds like your problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Jun 13, 2010 at 2:11:29 am

Yes, the aspect ratio of both the comp and the layer in which the path was created are the same (DVCPRO HD 720 1.33). It was shot on the HVX.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 13, 2010 at 8:05:17 pm

The Particular layer must also be the same size and pixel aspect ratio. If it isn't, I've pretty much exhausted the possibilities I know about, and better minds than mine must intervene.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Jun 14, 2010 at 12:40:01 am

All aspect ratios match, I haven't been able to figure it out, so I've gotta move on.
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll find another way around it.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]