ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

export an x264 mp4 from after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Danner
export an x264 mp4 from after effects
on Jun 11, 2010 at 7:50:47 pm

Anyone have any ideas on how to export an x264 mp4 out of after effects? x264 not h264... since x264 actually gives a better result... plus I'm working with 1080 videos here so that's also a problem for alot of open source stuff that just chokes on the videos due to resolution and file size (40 - 80Gbs).

I've tried rendering an x264 avi (via ffdshow) then changing the container with various open source stuff but like Isaid - various problems: stopping after 10 secs, color spaces being changed etc etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: export an x264 mp4 from after effects
on Jun 11, 2010 at 7:57:55 pm

[Dan Danner] "Anyone have any ideas on how to export an x264 mp4 out of after effects?"

Yeah -- don't. At least not if you want something that looks good. At its heart, an mp4 is nothing more than an H.264, and you don't want to make H.264 in AE. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Danner
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:33:23 pm

yeah I figured that getting an x264 mp4 out of after effects would be near impossible.... I always render an uncompressed avi from after effects then encode with the media encoder. Only problem is that the media encoder won't work with x264. Any idea for encoders that work with x264? I've tried handbrake, avidemux... since I'm on a budget the open source is what I've got to work with.

And thanks for the response Dave!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:36:55 pm

This might help....

http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonathan Shohet
on Jun 12, 2010 at 7:42:57 pm

Since you mention ffdshow I'm assuming you are on windows.
I've found MeGUI and StaxRip to be the best x264 open source frontends on windows. FFCoder is another nice free GUI for x264 and FFMpeg.
Some people swear by Handbrake and Avidemux but I admit I've never found them particularly stable or efficient when I tried them. In any case, most open source software requires some patience and learning and may have some bugs to work around.
You could also visit VideoHelp.com for a very extensive list of audio/video software, both free and commercial.

Return to posts index

Dan Danner
on Jun 15, 2010 at 6:52:44 pm

Many thanks goes to Jonathan Shohet for the tip about StaxRip. We've been testing it at my job and it does just what I want.. and NEED it to do.

Thanks again Jonathan Shohet!!!

Return to posts index

Yiu Korochko
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:18:22 pm

Use MeGUI. It's had very little work done on it in the last year, but it's considered x264s best interface.

It's rather difficult getting a hang of at first, so if you need any advice, feel free to email me about anything: korochko@hotmail.co.uk

Oh and by the way, I was able to compress 1920x800 and 1920x816 videos ripped from my own BluRays from 33GB and 24GB to 4GB and 6GB respectively. And I'll tell you what, the quality is outstanding.
H264 is a bad compressor, yes. But with x264, you should be able to get files down to tiny file sizes. (40-80GB = lolerz!)
Fair enough if that's an uncompressed AVI, but after compress...no. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]