ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Depth of field problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc De Coster
Depth of field problems
on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:47:46 am

Hi guys. Here's my problem ...

It's not the first time that I have it. When I use a small depth of field (meaning a big blured area) with layers close to the camera, it creates some artefacts. It looks like I have a bad resolution or a bad compression. I really see a straight line moving on my layer instead of a nice gradiant from the focused zone to the blured zone.
The result is better if I remove all my 2D layers at that point of the timeline but it's not perfect.
I put my project in 16 bits per channel. I don't know what else I can do.
Does anyone met the same problem?

Thanx

Return to posts index

Nico Jones
Re: Depth of field problems
on Jun 11, 2010 at 11:02:27 am

I think it might be caused by having 2 layers occupy the same z space?

Try shifting your layers by a pixel or so forward or backwards on the z axis...

Nico J BB

Return to posts index

Marc De Coster
on Jun 11, 2010 at 4:24:20 pm

Thank u but I know the problem you're talking about but it's not corresponding to mine. In this case, I have a single layer so it can't be the stuff you''re talking about ...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 11, 2010 at 4:21:05 pm

[Marc De Coster] "The result is better if I remove all my 2D layers at that point of the timeline but it's not perfect. "

I'll assume that you know that ANY 2D layer intervening in the timeline between the camera and the 3D layer is an almost-certain cause of AE weirdness.

Using Open GL can also give many versions of AE fits under a wide variety of circumstances. Try turning it off.

And if you happen to be running AE 9, and you haven't upgraded to AE 9.0.2, you really should.

There -- three easy things to try. I hope one works for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marc De Coster
on Jun 11, 2010 at 4:52:30 pm

Yes, I noticed that when I used an adjustment layer above all. But here, even if I remove everything in the timelin but the layer, the light and the camera, I still have the problem. I also turned off my Open GL but no result. I work on the 9.0.0 so I'll try what you propose, I'll upgrade to the 9.0.2
Meanwhile, I realized that the problem desappear when I reset the X orientation of my layer to zero. The angle between the camera and the layer is then different and it solves the problem. But of course, the perspective of my image is not the same anymore! Compromize .....

Thank U

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 12, 2010 at 1:24:09 am

After Effects depth of field artifacts horribly at large blur values. Always has. You'll just have to change your settings to reduce the boxy blurring.

First thing I'd try is moving the offending layer closer to the focus area and reducing the blur amount on your camera.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Marc De Coster
on Jun 13, 2010 at 10:20:39 am

Thank U Darby. There was the solution! I brought my camera really closer to the layer, changed the focus distance. And my aperture went from 300 to 20 and it really made the difference. There are still some bad results in dark areas but I'll deal with it!

Thank U

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]