ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

applying vfx on .mpeg

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Chungapplying vfx on .mpeg
by on Jun 11, 2010 at 5:23:27 am

I know this is probably a no-no but I've been capturing .mpeg HDV clips in premiere and using dynamic link apply vfx in AE. Now after capturing, should I be converting the .mpeg to something else (photo jpeg or something) before using dynamic link and modifying in AE?

I'd like to save myself that step if possible, but if someone can advise me, I'd much appreciate it.

thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: applying vfx on .mpeg
by on Jun 11, 2010 at 5:42:03 am

As Dave mentions in his stock answer #1 (look for that in this forum) it is best to convert any compressed file to an uncompressed format before applying fx in AE, the reason being that compressed files do not have all the information in each frame of the footage and that can cause a bunch of problems. So- sorry, I do not think you can skip that step.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: applying vfx on .mpeg
by on Jun 11, 2010 at 1:23:31 pm

I happen to have Dave's quote handy, but keep in mind, this only applies to earlier versions of AE. Adobe says that MPEG handling has been greatly improved. I haven't had time to do decent tests for myself yet so I still follow my practice of rendering out a lossless file out of Premiere and using that in AE.
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

And Adobe agreed. Again, this was for older versions of AE. CS5 shouldn't have the same problems.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: applying vfx on .mpeg
by on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:59:09 pm

According to Todd Kopriva at Adobe, AE 10 eliminates a lot of the problems caused by HDV footage.

At this year's NAB, Todd played host to a session of, "Let's Try To Break AE 10". People brought in a wide variety of temporally-compressed footage, and AE didn't choke.

Does this mean AE can handle EVERY kind of temporally-compressed footage? My guess is no, but it can handle a lot more kinds than ever before.

If you're set up for 64-bit operation, you might want to download the trial version and check it out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew ChungRe: applying vfx on .mpeg
by on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:26:32 pm

thanks dave. AE 10 is the same as AE in CS5 right?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:38:05 pm

Yup. I've been using AE since Version 3, and so I go by software version numbers.

This "Creative Suite" garbage is no more than hype thought up by marketing weasels, in my opinion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: applying vfx on .mpeg
by on Jun 11, 2010 at 7:27:11 pm

lol @ "marketing weasels"

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 11, 2010 at 7:50:30 pm

Hey, I work in my station's promotion department: marketing, y'know. I guess it takes one to know one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]