ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Word Kerning

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy baumgartnerWord Kerning
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 8:45:29 pm

Hi, I need to animate the space between "words" (actually numbers like 10^2, 10^3,ect) to change the scale of a numberline. The animation starts close to our solarsystem but zooms out and the scale changes. Animating the character kerning stretches out in a way I don't want. Also talks word kerning but not animating it. Does anyone know I workaround? There's only 10 numbers on the line so I could split them into layers if that's necessary. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Word Kerning
by on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:42:28 am

[andy baumgartner] "I could split them into layers if that's necessary"

if they are all separate layers, then you could arrange them as you need them at the start, keyframe those positions. goto the time where they need to end, move the end layers to the positions they need to be, select all the number layers, hit the distribute centers option in the align palette and keyframe the new positions.

you could also use expressions to do this, which i wouldn't say is easier, but it will make it easier to make changes by only needing to modify one or two position keyframes. if you want to try expressions, search the ae forum and the expressions forum for 'distribute layers expression'. but this seems easy enough to use the distribute feature and straight keyframes.

what you'd like it to be able to use tabs and animate the distance between tabs, and i don't think there is a text animator for that....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

andy baumgartnerRe: Word Kerning
by on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:59:23 am

Thanks Kevin, I didn't know about the distribute centers option. Your comment about expressions made me think about scripts. It seems like scaling positions w/o scaling objects would be a commonish problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved