ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Nucleo Pro settings for Mac Book Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
william legarreta
Nucleo Pro settings for Mac Book Pro
on Jun 10, 2010 at 12:25:50 pm

I have a brand new Mac Book Pro 17 inch LED backlit laptop. Im running CS4 suite and I have nucleo pro installed so I can edit video while rendering. I was hoping someone could help me figure out the best settings for nucleo pro to render as quickly as possible on it. Right now the settings are at default.

Laptop specs:

Intel core i7
Processor speed 2.66 Ghz
Number of Processors: 1
Number of cores: 2
Memory: 8 Gigs

any suggestions would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Nucleo Pro settings for Mac Book Pro
on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:12:56 pm

[william legarreta] "...I have nucleo pro installed so I can edit video while rendering...."

I presume you you ACTUALLY mean, "...so I can continue working in After Effects while rendering."
Actual editing with an editing application while rendering in AE is a completely different kettle of fish.

The primary reason to use Nucleo Pro is to take advantage of a computer's multicore processors, such as you'd find on a dual quad core machine. Plenty of RAM also helps. You have 8GB RAM, which in AE terms isn't exactly a whole bunch, and you have only two cores. That's a big problem.

Why is editing pretty much out of the question? Most types of commonly-used footage are extremely processor-intensive: H.264, HDV, MP4, MPEG, etc. Well, you don't have enough processors to get very intense.

Furthermore, I'd imagine your machine only contains a single hard drive. If you actually DO mean editing, you'd be demanding a fast bit rate for reading from that one hard drive from different spots on the disk to get the editied clips to play in real time, while at the same time you're expecting it to write to different locations on the hard drive. See a potential logjam? I won't even mention the demands placed on the processor...

Getting all of that out of a dual quad core Mac Pro with 24 GB RAM and a RAID 5 is tough enough. And you're trying to do all that on a LAPTOP?

Be sure to write back. Tell us how it's working out....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

william legarreta
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:18:33 pm

I know its sounds ridiculous with my set up. Utilizing Nucleo Pro to render while Im editing in AE works fine. I guess Ill just leave Nucleo Pro at its default setting then. Thanks for you're help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:28:04 pm

[william legarreta] "Utilizing Nucleo Pro to render while Im editing in AE works fine."

Glad to hear it... but there's that "e" word again.

If you're actually using AE to trim clips and cut them together, you really ought to be using a different application. AE is a God-awful lousy editor. If you have no other choice but to use it for editing, then I guess you're stuck, and I feel bad for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]