ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lens Flare jerkiness??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark LinthicumLens Flare jerkiness??
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 8:25:26 am

Any one know why AE is doing this to me??

The lens flare source point is to stay on the tip of the star and the lens flare jumps around, i tried to make it not move on the X axis but it did not help. it still jerks from left to right.

here is the image, if you go frame by frame you will see The circle on the lower left behind the text jumps around.
http://gallery.me.com/mj662#100062/Lens%20Flare%20jerky-H.264

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Lens Flare jerkiness??
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 8:54:55 am

A few specific details will help us understand how you did this and thus maybe enable us to give some solutions. When you're in a project, you know all details and you just want to solve the things that do not work, but remember we are not mind readers, remote viewers or AE diviners... so we have no idea how you set up your project unless you tell us.
So- did you track the star corners and link the flare to that data or did you animate by hand?
Is the footage progressive or interlaced?
Any other details that may clarify the way you worked...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Mark LinthicumRe: Lens Flare jerkiness??
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 9:06:19 am

It is not tracked, I just placed keframes in the timline evert few seconds to track the point. .
The footage is progresive.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Lens Flare jerkiness??
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 9:30:23 am

Are the keyframes of your animation set to linear or bezier?
If you have bezier this may cause the jitter- turn all keyframes to linear.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lens Flare jerkiness??
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:50:30 pm

What version of AE do you run? If it isn't AE 10, aka AE CS5, you'll probably experience big problems with footage shot on any kind of HDV camera. Not when previewing, but when rendering:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark LinthicumRe: Lens Flare jerkiness??
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 5:32:51 pm

Thanks for the help,

I am using CS4, ProRes Footage upresed from DV

I understand AE uncompresses any footage you import into it, so it should not matter the footage type. especially since this flare is not part of the image it is generated in AE and all looks fine with the exeption the movement of the lens flare.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lens Flare jerkiness??
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:11:44 pm

[Mark Linthicum] "I understand AE uncompresses any footage you import into it, so it should not matter the footage type."

Um, no, this is a known issue in AE prior to version 10. The type of footage does indeed matter.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]