ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS5 Refine Matte Weirdness

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John RoweCS5 Refine Matte Weirdness
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:53:44 am

I'm using Keylight 1.2 to remove the greenscreen in some AVCHD footage shot in 1440x1080.

Keylight by itself does an almost perfect job and results in just very slight noise in the edges of the person's hair and some slight non-zero Alpha levels across the greenscreen.

When I add Refine Matte it makes the Alpha levels zero across the greenscreen but it creates a noticeable hard edge around the person's hair. What's worse, on playback this hard edge changes shape rapidly over time which is very noticeable.

I've tried tweaking all the settings in Refine Matte (including Reduce Chatter) without success. Refine Matte fixes the cleanness of the overall matte but creates these problems making it unusable.

What the? Any ideas how to fix this? Any help greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: CS5 Refine Matte Weirdness
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 8:59:07 am

It depends a lot on how your footage looks.
My first advice would be to try and create a separate key just for the hair and then comp that on top of the other. Use other plug-ins to see which can do a better job for the hair.
Since you have CS5 you may want to try the roto brush to get a better hair mask.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

John RoweRe: CS5 Refine Matte Weirdness
by on Jun 11, 2010 at 9:59:03 pm

Thanks Ted.
The problem was I hadn't set up Keylight right - been a while since I last used it. Doh!
Now that I've got the controls set in Keylight correctly everything is right as rain and Refine Matte works perfectly!

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved