ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS4 RAM Preview Audio Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan SchramerAfter Effects CS4 RAM Preview Audio Problem
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:46:06 am

Well, I'm editing a montage, but when I ram preview the desired workspace (clips and music), the music cuts out about a second before the preview is over (while the clips keep going). This does not happen when I turn on full screen mode but, I'm still wondering how to fix it since it's quite annoying.

I'm using AE CS4 with my Mac Book Pro which has 4 GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, and a 250 GB Hard Drive.

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: After Effects CS4 RAM Preview Audio Problem
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 5:57:40 am

All you need to do is to lengthen the audio preview
Preferences/Previews/Audio Preview/Duration
However, it is best you do the final edit and mixing in a editing software like Premiere or FCP.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Tristan SchramerRe: After Effects CS4 RAM Preview Audio Problem
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:41:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work out. Still the same problem.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS4 RAM Preview Audio Problem
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:05:53 pm

[Tristan Schramer] "...the music cuts out about a second before the preview is over..."

I'd make the Information panel visible while you RAM Preview. Your description makes me think that video isn't previewing in real time. The info panel will show you the frame rate of the preview.

There are many strategies you can use to get real time previews. For example, you can set the comp window resolution to half, screen size to 50%. You can specify how much of the picture in the comp window gets previewed at a time -- look for the button at the bottom of the comp window.

Don't use compressed audio in AE: mp3, ac3, etc. AE does NOT play nice with them.

[Tristan Schramer] "I'm using AE CS4 with my Mac Book Pro which has 4 GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, and a 250 GB Hard Drive"

You may find it hard to believe, but 4GB isn't much AT ALL in AE. You need to trick that thing out with RAM. And since you only have 2 cores, multiprocessing does more harm than good... but you don't have enough memory to use it in the first place.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tristan SchramerRe: After Effects CS4 RAM Preview Audio Problem
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:39:32 pm

I've tried changing the resolution from Full to Half and to Third, but the problem still occurs. Also, it is previewing in real time since it wasn't lagging or dropping frames. Even if it wasn't in real time at first, I would just play it back a few more times and eventually it would play in real time. The only audio file I could find for the song I'm using is MP3 so there is nothing I can really do there.

In addition, I know that 4GB RAM is not much, It is just a longer process. Plus I'm thinking about getting an upgrade to 8GB RAM. There isn't much I can do, I'm 14 years old and using the resources I have to edit a Call of Duty Montage. :P

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS4 RAM Preview Audio Problem
by on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:14:37 pm

[Tristan Schramer] "The only audio file I could find for the song I'm using is MP3 so there is nothing I can really do there. "

Oh, yes you can. You can take that mp3 into a different application and change it to a wav or aiff file very easily, and you should do so. AE hasn't played nice with mp3's since I first started using the application back in version 3.

You'd better do it. Adobe media encoder would work fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]