ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

quicktimes from avid using quicktime wrappers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Goldberg
quicktimes from avid using quicktime wrappers
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:29:07 pm

Hello,
We have 100s of clips exported from an avid using quicktime wrappers. The clips are importing into AE ok, the problem is there are 120 clips to import. When AE begins importing all of them, it zips by no problem for the first 20 or 30, then it begins to slow down. Eventually it freezes before all files are imported. We are using an automated script to build finished compositions, and it imports all files automatically. We can import just a few at a time as a result. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? We've tried both CS4 and CS5, and we have plenty of RAM (20gbs).

Mike

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: quicktimes from avid using quicktime wrappers
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:43:43 pm

I'll assume you have the appropriate Avid codecs on your AE machine.

But to eliminate the possibility that it's the script itself causing the problems, have you tried simply lassoing all 120 clips and dragging them into a newly-created project? What happens then?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Goldberg
on Jun 9, 2010 at 7:06:23 pm

Yes, it's definitely not the script. When I simply import the files, its very fast, at first, but gradually gets slower until it freezes about 2/3s of the way through the 120 clips.
Mike

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:13:25 pm

When you import these files, does it create anything in your Conformed Media Cache folder?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jun 9, 2010 at 6:18:51 pm

yep, i'd be suspicious of the conformed media cache too.

what is the codec that you are using to create the .mov's? with some codecs ae will create a converted ('conformed') version of the media file that will help speed previews of that media. if you choose a codec that does not need to be conformed, then you may avoid this issue all together.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael Goldberg
on Jun 9, 2010 at 7:08:41 pm

Yes, there's quite a bit in the cache folder.
The avid exports an avid media folder with the avid media files, then it also exports a quicktime file that's very small with a wrapper telling it to look at the avid media folder to play it back. My guess is it takes some time to do the conversion, or reading of those files.
Mike

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2010 at 8:32:55 pm

Yeah, Kevin and Walter nailed it: it's the Conformed media cache. AE's reading quicktime reference files that point to the media still in the Avid codecs.

And as Kevin points out, if you can possibly re-export those clips from Avid and change them into, say, Quicktimes in the PNG codec (lossless), AE will get much speedier. The file sizes will be absolutely huge, but much more AE-friendly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jun 10, 2010 at 1:28:36 am

it sounds like you are exporting quicktime reference movies from avid. you may be able to export self contained quicktime movies that are using avid codecs.... and, if it is the same codec that you are using in avid, then it may be a faster export than to other qt codecs -- avid should only need to re-wrap the footage in a quicktime container rather than transcode it.

avid offers most (if not all) it's codecs as quicktime codecs, so whether you are working in dv or dnxhd you should be able to export that same codec as a .mov (these are free downloads from avid if you don't have them).

i've never tested the avid codecs for conformed-media-cache-freindliness, but from my understanding of the conformed media cache, i think most of them should be fine, except maybe their mpeg50 codec....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]