ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 Problem writing quicktime movies to primary drive

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Lewis
AE CS5 Problem writing quicktime movies to primary drive
on Jun 9, 2010 at 1:29:04 pm

I am having problems writing any Quicktime file to my primary drive.
The problem exists in AE CS5 and Quicktime itself. in quicktime the error reported is Error -43

Is any one else had this issue?

It works fine writing to any other drive (I have 3
They are all formatted basic and NTFS

I am running the latest quicktime and itunes for windows 7 64bit.

Some background:
I have just upgraded to windows 7, 64bit. Running on a MacPro 8core 3Ghz with 8 Gigs of Ram. I installed win7 on a new 1T drive.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CS5 Problem writing quicktime movies to primary drive
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:24:29 pm

[Brett Lewis] "I am having problems writing any Quicktime file to my primary drive. "

Since I'm a Mac guy, I guess that means the drive where your OS and application software is located; the System Drive of the Windows world.

Bad idea. You shouldn't EVER try to render files to your system drive.

You want video on your system drive? Render it to a different drive, and take the extra five seconds to copy it to the system drive.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brett Lewis
on Jun 9, 2010 at 6:09:21 pm

My 'system drive'is a 1T drive and contains all my Apps photos, files etc. Are you recommending this because of disk read and write speeds or stability issues?

Most times my AE comps are simple colour correcting of Depth blurring next to my 3D files and Edit. I find it fine to keep it all together.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2010 at 6:28:16 pm

[Brett Lewis] "Are you recommending this because of disk read and write speeds or stability issues? "

Both. 'Twas ever thus -- keep system files on a separate drive from user files. I'm surprised you've never run into this basic tenet before.

It's kind of like when your wife or girlfriend asks, "Do I look fat in this?", you never, EVER say "yes", not even if the One You Love is 5' 2", tips the scales at 285 and is wearing a gray Goodyear sweatshirt. You don't need a reason why, you just don't do it.

Same thing with system files and user files.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:18:23 pm

[Brett Lewis] "The problem exists in AE CS5 and Quicktime itself. in quicktime the error reported is Error -43 "

I think Quicktime throws Error -43 for permissions issues or illegal characters in a filename.

Do you have write access in the folder you're trying to save to? Any funny characters, international characters, or punctuation marks in the name of the drive, any of the folders in the path, or the filename itself?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]