ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Converting HD footage at 23.976 to 30fps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Bowman
Converting HD footage at 23.976 to 30fps
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:41:57 am

I've looked for an answer on this and haven't found much. I know it's fairly common to use a pulldown for 23.976 to 29.97, but my specific problem is that I need to take a progressive 1920x1080 movie at 23.976 and convert it to 30fps. This is a common problem for me too, as my deliverable files are often used for outdoor LED signage that is displaying in a progressive, square pixel format – yet the TV spots we receive are often HD at 23.976.

Method I've used so far:
I bring in the 23.976 footage and time remap it in After Effects, with no frame blending turned on. This generally means that every 5th and 6th frame are duplicates – I guess a 4:2 playback??? It looks good enough usually and on playback the duplicate frames are barely noticeable.

Other Method's I've tried:
If I use frame blending (frame mix mode) it's very noticeable as it blends 3 or 4 frames together, and if I use the frame blending (pixel motion) option it's very funky looking because you notice the frame interpolation horribly.

Do you guys have any suggestions other than the first method I mentioned? Should I be adding a pulldown then deinterlacing or something? If I missed a topic or tutorial that covers this specific issue I apologize. All help is greatly appreciated.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Converting HD footage at 23.976 to 30fps
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:08:09 pm

If you really and truly do need to deliver a 30fps file -- NOT a 29.97 file -- I'd get myself frame rate conversion software like Magic Bullet or Twixtor to do the job. I think you'll be much happier with the result.

But triple-check with the sign company if you actually need to deliver a 30 fps file first. This is the first time I've heard of 30 fps, progressive-scan ONLY, and I've made interlaced 29.97 video that ran on great-big LED stadium scoreboards.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Bowman
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:18:16 pm

First of all, I appreciate the response. And you are right. I've used 29.97 for a few boards in Times Square, but I still have the same problem. They need progressive video (non-interlaced) and I still have the same issue to where every 4 frames are unique, then the next 2 are duplicates...and so on.

Is my solution to use Twixtor for this?

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:25:58 pm

[Eric Bowman] "Is my solution to use Twixtor for this? "

Twixtor is indeed pricey, which may be a consideration, but I still think it delivers better results than an arcane frame-rate-change recipe using AE only. I'm sure the folks at ReelVision have a tryout version of the software, so you can judge for yourself.

Give it a shot... see what you think.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]