ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layer edges cutting down 'Knoll Light or Optical flares' effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Joseph
Layer edges cutting down 'Knoll Light or Optical flares' effect
on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:49:24 am

Hi Guys,

Every time i create this light streaks / flares with 'knoll lights' or 'Optical flares' by applying the plugins on sold layer & setting render mode to 'on transparent' I face this problem.

That 3D layer or pre-rendered comp is distinctly noticeable as rectangle when it is moved in 3d space. I can see comp's edges cutting down that optical flare & not allowing it to spread infinitely. It feels like that streak is enclosed in that rectangle layer or comp.

May be one way is to make solid layer relatively big enough but that won't help when you move it in 3d space on different axis, edges will be visible.

How can i get rid of this problem. Pls help.

Thanks
Andrew

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Layer edges cutting down 'Knoll Light or Optical flares' effect
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:13:00 am

See if the Grow Bounds effect helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Andy Joseph
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:33:33 am

@ Todd

Thanks for your reply but its not helpful.

I think its very basic problem & experts should be able to help me if I have explained it right, i don't know.

Other solutions please ?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 9, 2010 at 7:15:22 am

Your problem comes from the fact that you are trying to use the layer on which you apply the lens flare as a 3d layer. Instead use a light for the 3d position of your lens flare and link the flare to it using expressions. Here's a link to a tutorial that gives you the explanation on how to do that (and more) and a nice script to download that will save you the work (scroll at the bottom):
http://www.petertorpey.com/tutorials/volume_light/
I have changed the AE lens flare with a Knoll lens flare and it works just the same. I presume it will for Optical Flares also.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 9, 2010 at 11:34:18 am

If you use lights with Optical Flares, there is no need for expressions or scripting -- change the positioning mode source to "Track Lights." (There are some very useful options if you are working with more than one light.)

Just like with Knoll, the effect should stay on a static 2D layer, and the light itself should be animated in 3D space.

Here's the tutorial on positioning lens flares in 3D space with Optical Flares.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:17:15 pm

I heartily concur; you should never put these effects on a 3d layer. Optical Flares is built to work with lights as mentioned and Knoll Lens Flares have a solution for 3d effects as well.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andy Joseph
on Jun 10, 2010 at 10:57:22 pm

Thank you Todd, Tudor, Walter & Michael for your prompt support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]