ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Objects flicker as camera flies by

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara Winkle
Objects flicker as camera flies by
on Jun 8, 2010 at 10:30:23 pm

Hi!
I Keep running into a strange issue animating cameras in After Effects.
I have my layers layed out in space and do a simple animation with the camera flying
through space passing the layers to the right and left. I am getting a strange "flicker effect" on the objects/images as the camera passes.
I have tried the de interlacing flicker filter, tried changing the speed of the camera and a slight gaussan blur on the layers since the images are very high rez. Neither one seem to make a big difference. Any ideas? Maybe my camera settings?
Thank you so much for your input on this!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Objects flicker as camera flies by
on Jun 9, 2010 at 7:59:36 am

Are you getting the flicker in a preview or a final render?
Interlaced or progressive project? Preview on the computer monitor or external monitor (NTSC, PAL, SD/HD...).
Are you using motion blur?

Answer these so we can help.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:03:37 pm

What is it with people giving vague descriptions of their problems lately? Specifically, the word "flicker"?

In addition to your answers to Ted's questions, I'd like to know something else: just what do you mean by "flickering"? It is, to say the least, a very nebulous description of your problem.
It's a non-descriptive description, if you get my meaning.

When I think of flickering, I think of the random variations in luminance of a candle when it flickers. What do YOU mean when you think of flickering?

Please feel free to avoid AE's arcane lingo and describe the condition as best you can in plain English.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sara Winkle
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:25:45 pm

I apologize for my bad English- I am from the other side of the ocean :0)
I will try to describe this better:
I am working in a NTSC D1 project. The Graphics are being imported into the avid.
The flicker/ghosting effect is visible in preview in After Effects, after rendering and after importing into the avid.
The "flicker" can also be described as a "ghosting" effect around the edges of high contrast text as well as the edges of layers I am passing close with the camera. (contrast between layers and Background or text and background)
The ghosting around the edges of the layers is more visible close to the camera and lessens as they disappear into the distance.
The ghosting is most extreme in detailed high contrast areas on the layers (I am passing product boxes that have detailed information on them in saturated colors)
I have been previewing and rendering with and without motion blur,I have been turning down the contrast and tried a slight gaussen blur, none of this seemed to make a big difference.

I hope this helps? Let me know if you need more info.
thank you so much

-sara

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:46:19 pm

Thank you for elaborating.

[Sara Winkle] "I am from the other side of the ocean... I am working in a NTSC D1 project."

Could you be seeing differences in frame rates? 25 fps / 29.97 fps? Double-check the frame rates any video footage, precomps, nested comps and the main comp.

[Sara Winkle] "The ghosting around the edges of the layers is more visible close to the camera and lessens as they disappear into the distance. "

Another possibility is this: are the layers you mention bitmap and not vector layers? You could be seeing the aliasing. If you can't replace the layers with higher resolution images or vector images, you may have to keep the camera farther away from them. You could also move the camera past them very quickly to disguise the aliasing with blurred motion, which is an old trick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 9, 2010 at 6:57:01 pm

All that Dave said, plus if you're working interlaced, make sure the order of the fields is what it should be ( upper first if I remember right for NTSC D1). If all this does not help, post a short clip so that we can see what's happening with our own eyes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]