ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Optimum Workflow for FCP > After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic LumiereOptimum Workflow for FCP > After Effects
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 2:33:13 pm

Anyone has recommendations for the optimum workflow to go from FCP 7 to After Effects?

Thanks!

Frederic Lumiere
http://FredericLumiere.com

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Kenny MiracleRe: Optimum Workflow for FCP > After Effects
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 2:59:04 pm

Automatic Duck is a nice plugin that will translate all your effects, keyframes, cuts, fades, etc from FCP > AE.

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/

Other than that - I would recommend doing the edit first in FCP. Get your content & audio set in stone. Then take it into AE. If you start doing heavy graphics, then your music or content changes - you've wasted time. I've had that happen and it's not fun :)

Peace,
Kenny

Kenny

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Optimum Workflow for FCP > After Effects
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:01:42 pm

I agree. Get the timing down in the editing app, nail down all cuts. Then add the graphics by exporting the relevant section (if necessary) from FCP with current settings (no change). Do your magic in AE, then render to the codec of the FCP sequence, otherwise FCP will have to render in the sequence ... the exception being if you have to use alpha channel, to render to the Animation codec with AE.

Now ... if you're editing in FCP with a codec such as HDV or MPEG-2 (an interframe-compressed codec) you must convert it to a proper intraframe-compressed codec (P-JPEG, PNG, Animation, 8-bit 422, ProRes) before importing into AE. Then you should render to the same proper intraframe codec, and use something like Quicktime to convert that movie to the HDV/MPEG-2 codec if you want.

I hope that makes sense ...

Return to posts index

Jan BeckerRe: Optimum Workflow for FCP > After Effects
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 1:20:40 am

When do I ad the transitions?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 5, 2010 at 2:57:37 pm

When to add transitions... it really depends on the project. simple fades, cuts, color dissolves can be done easily in FCP.

But if you're wanting to do more fancy transitions, like lens flares or graphical wipes or something else that requires AE, then there are two common options:
1) Export your FCP timeline with cuts only & add transitions in AE when doing other fx work
2) If you're not already sending your project to AE, then you can export your AE transition as an Animation with an alpha channel, and just drop it into FCP.

I like exporting transitions out of AE, becuz then I can have them available for other projects.

Hope this helps,
Kenny

Kenny

Return to posts index

Jan BeckerRe: Optimum Workflow for FCP > After Effects
by on Jul 5, 2010 at 7:22:56 pm

Hey Kenny thanks for the helpful tips.

I'm brand new to AE, so far I only worked with FCP and Motion.

Do you know of a Tutorial that focuses on the FCP - AE workflow?
I'm going through a Lynda.com tutorial, but they don't really touch this topic.

Thanx,

Jan

Return to posts index

by on Jul 5, 2010 at 8:42:15 pm

If you've used FCP & Motion together, then switching to AE shouldn't be too complicated. I've never found a "best practices" for the FCP/AE workflow. Some good techniques have been discussed, but it really depends on your workflow & needs.

Kenny

Return to posts index

Frederic LumiereRe: Optimum Workflow for FCP > After Effects
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 1:02:36 pm

Thanks Kenny!

It all worked out beautifully thanks to your recommendation to using automatic Duck. Here's a couple stories about my workflow:

http://www.postmagazine.com/Publications/Post-Magazine/2011/February-1-2011...

http://www.studiodaily.com/filmandvideo/currentissue/Multiplying-Soldiers-i...

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]