ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Frame Rate and File format to render to

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad KetteringFrame Rate and File format to render to
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 1:25:00 pm

Hello,

I am new to After Effects and had some questions about frame rate and rendering file types.

I am currently creating some sequences using still photography images. I plan to render these effected sequences out and import them into Adobe Premiere for final edit and export.

I would like the final project to be 1920x1080 24P for a BluRay disc release.

Should I setup AE for true 24fps or 23.976fps?

I have been rendering the sequences out to Quicktime Movie format to later be imported into Premiere for final editing. Is this a good format to preserve the best quality?

One last question - 8-bit or 16-bit color?

Thanks for your help!!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Frame Rate and File format to render to
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:48:54 pm

[Chad Kettering] "I would like the final project to be 1920x1080 24P for a BluRay disc release. Should I setup AE for true 24fps or 23.976fps?"

Either. Blu-Ray technically supports both 23.976 and 24 fps. Personally, I'd choose 23.976 fps unless I had a very good reason not to.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Frame Rate and File format to render to
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:56:12 pm

[Chad Kettering] "I plan to render these effected sequences out and import them into Adobe Premiere for final edit and export.... I have been rendering the sequences out to Quicktime Movie format to later be imported into Premiere for final editing. Is this a good format to preserve the best quality?"

Quicktime is just a media container. The codec to which your work is encoded inside that quicktime container determines the image quality. So which of the many Quicktime codecs are you using?
If it looks good and plays back well in Premiere, chances are good you got it right.

[Chad Kettering] "One last question - 8-bit or 16-bit color? "

Color depth is limited by the codec. So again, we can't really say what's right for you... we don't know the codec you're using.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chad KetteringRe: Frame Rate and File format to render to
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:07:01 pm

Thanks for your responses thus far.

What advantage is there to using the 23.976 frame rate over a pure 24 fps?

As far as the Quicktime rendering in After Effects, I am rendering to Quicktime Movie - Animation, 1920x1080 24fps, highest quality.

Seems to look fine. Just wondering if this is a preferred format to work with when importing it into Premiere.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Frame Rate and File format to render to
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:21:47 pm

[Chad Kettering] "What advantage is there to using the 23.976 frame rate over a pure 24 fps?"

Here's the overwhelming one: Blu-Rays don't play at 24fps. They play at 23.976 fps.

When fancy video cameras shoot 24p, they're actually shooting 23.976.

There isn't much outside of Panavision and Arriflex cameras that does NOT shoot at 23.976.

Use 24fps at your peril. Kapiche?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chad KetteringRe: Frame Rate and File format to render to
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:24:10 pm

Thanks Dave,

I will adjust that in my proect.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2010 at 12:08:56 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Blu-Rays don't play at 24fps. They play at 23.976 fps."

This is changing, though. Blu-Ray supports both 23.976 fps and 24.0 fps playback. There is no analog standard that will support it, but you can pass a 24.0 fps stream over HDMI. With a new 120 Hz monitor, you should be able to play back 24.0 fps media without pulldown.

This is still a corner case, though, and if the monitor is not capable of true 120 Hz, you're at the mercy of the monitor's video processor for how your 24.0 fps would be displayed at 59.94 / 60 Hz.

Pedantry aside, none of this changes the bottom line -- 23.976 fps is still by far the more flexible choice for video distribution.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:23:53 pm

[Chad Kettering] "What advantage is there to using the 23.976 frame rate over a pure 24 fps?"

Most video systems that say "24p" really mean 23.976p; the benefits I see are these:
  • Easy pull-down to 29.97 fps, for monitoring, tape, broadcast, or cross-conversion to other HD formats.
  • Easy down-convert to SD DVD, which requires 23.976 fps and does not support 24 fps.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Premiere, so I can't help on your other questions.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]