ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Random Vertical Text Glow (per character)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BarkRandom Vertical Text Glow (per character)
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:41:09 am

Just for practice (because Lord knows I need it) I'm trying to emulate the title from the TV show, "Supernatural."

I've created a solid, added and animated fractal noise, used Hue/Saturation to make red and black clouds, added a text layer with the word "testing," applied an alpha track matte to the solid and animated the position of the text layer - quick, single frame jumps to the left and right and z.

There's also a vertical glow or blur (I think it's a glow) going on, but only on some of the letters, some of the time. Obviously I can animate glow radius (I say obvious like I'm an old pro - I think it's cool as heck that I've figured that much out without a book showing me how, and I know this is probably among the easier things to do), but I can't figure out how to make only certain letters glow, or - to be more true to the actual titling - half of the word.

I tried duplicating the text layer, masking it and dropping that underneath everything, but that has some weird results. Actually, I just stopped writing this post for a second and jumped back in, and maybe I'm on to something with the duplicate text. Animating the glow and an inverted, subtractive mask seems to do the trick.

Looks like there's a light or two applied to this thing, as well, so I'm gonna play around with that. Lights and cameras are a little tricky for me, so far, so I guess i'd better learn to get comfortable with them.

David Bark
Lightshine Productions

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: Random Vertical Text Glow (per character)
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:41:58 am

i'd try creating a layer with some animated fractal noise - set the blockiness so that the size of blocks is similar to the size of the letters, then use that layers as a track matte for an adjustment layer which has your blur / glow effect.

Thus your fractal will drive the opacity of the effect.

i've not tried this yet...but its certainly something i would try.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Random Vertical Text Glow (per character)
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:36:56 pm

You might also look into text animators. Just based on your description, I could see a duplicate text layer with random wiggling per-character blur being very useful here. Or even position wiggling with motion blur.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Joey BurnhamRe: Random Vertical Text Glow (per character)
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 9:56:21 pm

Check this out.

Very handy when trying to recreate a random glow / blur / whatever you want effect using...wait for it...cell pattern.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved