ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

wiggle expression time limted

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Eatonwiggle expression time limted
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:19:48 pm

Hi, I did a simple wiggle expression on a camera in AE CS4. I want the wiggle to only last for 3 seconds. What do I add to the expression to have it stop after wiggling for 3 seconds? This is my expression: wiggle(2,2)

I'm sure this is simple. Thanks in advance for the help!

Jared

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: wiggle expression time limted
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 12:48:48 pm

Add a Slider Expression Control to the layer. Then select the second component within the brackets of your current Expression and pickwhip to the Slider Expression Control.

You will end up with the following Expression - wiggle(2,effect("Slider Control")("Slider"))

Now keyframe the Slider Expression Control down to zero over three seconds.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Jared EatonRe: wiggle expression time limted
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:56:36 pm

It won't let me add a slider to the camera.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:25:19 pm

[Jared Eaton] "It won't let me add a slider to the camera."

That's cos AE doesn't allow for effects to be applied to a camera and you didn't mention that you were working with a camera.

All the previous steps will still work but before you apply them, you'll need to create a layer to contain the Slider Expression Control. A Null Layer does the job.

So, create a Null Layer and apply an instance of the Slider Expression Control. Then follow the steps outlines previously.

You'll end up with an Expression like this -
wiggle(20,effect("Slider Control")("Slider"))

Take note that the wiggle will be applied similarly to all X,Y and Z position properties. If you want greater control over which coordinate gets wiggled, then your script will be like this -
[value[0],wiggle(20,thisComp.layer("Null 2").effect("Slider Control")("Slider"))[1],value[2]]

The above script only wiggles the Y value.

value[0] and value[2] refers to the existing values for X and Z respectively and these values will stay constant.

HTH
Roland Kahlenberg

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: wiggle expression time limted
by on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:37:59 am

There's an example on this page that shows how to do what you want.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2010 at 12:18:44 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "There's an example on this page that shows how to do what you want."

Heya Todd, that's a good solution but when using an Expression Control together with keyframes, one has more finesse over the final result via the Graph Editor.

Cheers
Roland Kahlenberg

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2010 at 12:23:13 pm

BTW, just for reminiscing, I recall Michael Natkin from Adobe coming with the solution you provided to one of my similar Qs (on creating a pause for an Expression script - back then we didn't have Expression Controls) in the early days of AE's Expressions.

Is Michael still working on AE's Expressions?

Cheers
Roland Kahlenberg

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: wiggle expression time limted
by on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:31:08 pm

Yep. Michael is still the person who I go to with expression questions (and bugs).

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:37:28 pm

WOW! That's cool! Send him regards from the COW.

Cheers & Bestest Todd
Roland Kahlenberg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]