ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Problem with AI files in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian BurgerProblem with AI files in After Effects
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:02:12 pm

Hi there

I've got an After Effects project which uses a number of AI files. Both the AE project and the AI files were made using AE CS4 and Illustrator CS4 on the same computer, and everything works fine.

However, when I transfer the project and the source files to another computer, the imported AI files are now cropped to the size of the AI documents, and not the individual layer sizes. Obviously, the size and positions of the layers are now all wrong, because the layers are the size of the AI artboards.

I try re-importing them, but no luck - the AI files import cropped to the document size immediately. However, when I import the same AI files on the original PC, they import cropped to the layers!

Any idea how I can get them to import cropped to layers on the new PC, or at least get some consistency between the two? They're running the same, up-to-date versions of both AE and AI, and Windows 7.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Problem with AI files in After Effects
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:03:10 pm

have you tried "collapse trnasformation" button? If "yes" or "no" please let me know.. I will try to solve your problem.

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Jesse JacksonRe: Problem with AI files in After Effects
by on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:05:38 am

I'm having the exact same problem. After installing update, AI files started importing at comp size instead of artwork bounding box. This happened mid project so if I edit and reload any artwork the bounding box now the size of the AI artboard.

AI files/Footage I previously imported are fine and still bound to the artwork. However, If I try to import the exact same file now, I get this problem. There must be a setting in AE for this, seems simple enough, can't figure it out.

I reset my prefs, nothing changed.
Importing as a comp/comp-cropped layers doesn't help either.
Collapse transformations did not help as suggested above.

Current CS4 Versions
AI 14.0.0

Why does AE not want to let go of the AI artboard now? Any ideas very much appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved