ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Previews

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex DeemPreviews
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 1:35:12 am

I'm running After Effects CS4 on Windows XP. I got a RAM upgrade (up to 1.4 gigs) just for AE. I could get a RAM preview for a pretty good amount of time, usually around a minute or so. Everything worked fine, then it just suddenly stopped. Now, I can barely squeeze 10 frames out of a RAM preview. It will request for, say, 19/240 frames, then immediately start, only to stop a second later. I've tried resetting my preferences, un- and reinstalling it, even system restores to before it happened. The only thing I can think of is that when I check OpenGL Info in preferences, it says no compatible card found, version 2.0 or greater required. I have ATI right now, but like I said, I don't think that should matter, since it worked fine beforehand.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Previews
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 3:35:56 pm

You make it sound like you only have 1.4 GB RAM on your machine. Would you please clarify?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex DeemRe: Previews
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 11:01:06 pm

That's true, I only have 1.4 gigs of RAM on the laptop. I would be inclined to believe that to be the problem, had it not worked just fine previous.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Previews
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:41:16 pm

[Alex Deem] "...I would be inclined to believe that to be the problem, had it not worked just fine previous[ly]...."

Consider the previous lack of problems to be sheer, unadulterated dumb luck.

AE 9 can use, on Windows boxes with XP, 4GB. On a 64-bit OS, it can use just a little bit under 4GB PER CORE... not to mention that it would be good to have additional ram to run the OS and any other apps you'd like to have open.

And you've got 1.4GB? You are very seriously shot on RAM, a condition which should be addressed ASAP.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]