ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects trails of light in time-lapse movies

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Penta Pop
After Effects trails of light in time-lapse movies
on Jun 6, 2010 at 3:49:43 pm

I'm fairly new to After Effects, and I'm not sure what kind of tutorial I'm looking for, but I'll try to explain it.

I'm really into time-lapse photography. Specifically involving people moving around. What I want is to have tails/trails of blurred light that follow the persons as they move around. Much of this effect is already inherent in the time-lapse itself, but the blurry trails created when doing time-lapse do obviously not contain light, but the blurred effect is already there. I would somehow like to colorize these already present blurs.

So how do I add light and trails of light to the already inherent blurry effect that comes when capturing people during time-lapse? I'm imagining the light should be as tall (or wide, or both) as the objects moving around. I guess it's similar to the light streak tutorials when people move their fingers or hands on screen to simulate writing with light. Lights follow the finger, and in this case I want light to follow the persons moving around.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: After Effects trails of light in time-lapse movies
on Jun 7, 2010 at 9:11:32 am

You are on the right track- the Particular tutorials that you are referring to are a great starting point. Work in 32bit and you will get some really cool results. Here's a good tutorial:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/light_streaks_2/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Thomas Berg
on Jun 7, 2010 at 1:27:59 pm

Thank you so much for the pointers and the link, Ted! Can't wait to get started with this. When I do, I'll post the results.

Thanks again :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:42:27 pm

You can also use a still camera, set it up to take a shot at regular intervals, stop it way down and set a low shutter speed. Poof! Already-made streaks.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas Berg
on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:46:51 pm

Yes, I mentioned that the blurry effect is already inherent in time-lapse photography, at least when dragging the shutter. However, I want to add light effect to these blurred motions. Thanks anyway though :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]