ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Output file size HUGE ??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert HenryOutput file size HUGE ??
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 9:30:44 am

Okay so I import an avi that I have taken with my DSLR, and slightly alter the brightness, for example.
I then 'make movie' and create an avi at the full original quality.

The file size of the orignal (7.8mb) has increased to a massive 150mb! and the video is jumpy and choppy.

How can I edit my small clips and save the files without this?

They're going to be going into premiere for video editing so the file type isn't too important as long as it is compatible, but preferably it would be something i can view on my computer with windows media player.

The footage is 720p 24fps taken with a Nikon D5000. I'm using CS5. My computer specs: Quadcore 2.4gh, GTX 260 1gb graphics card, 4gb ram.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Output file size HUGE ??
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 5:07:45 pm

I'm guessing that you used the default output module, which is for uncompressed video in an AVI container.

Your original file was heavily compressed. That's why it was small. If you output to an uncompressed format, it is large.

Large files play back poorly because the hard disk can't keep up with serving the frames in real time to the media player.

If you are using the files as intermediate files for input into another post-production application, then the poor playback isn't a problem---since you're not going to to be playing the files back. And by not compressing them an extra time, you don't lose more quality.

For more information, see "Encoding and comrpession options for movies".

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved