ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

When Ever I Preview And Render Im Getting Alot of Glitches! (read for more info)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Farrugia
When Ever I Preview And Render Im Getting Alot of Glitches! (read for more info)
on Jun 6, 2010 at 5:14:56 am

Just think of it as my footage is going *giggity Gigity* its glitching from frame to frame. my camera is canon fs100

and i converted the file MPG to AVI simply be renaming it..

i would try importing with a diffrent file type but im not sure which one...

Im using adobe after effects cs3

4gb ram

Return to posts index

Georgios Soumelidis
Re: When Ever I Preview And Render Im Getting Alot of Glitches! (read for more info)
on Jun 6, 2010 at 11:57:59 am

"Just think of it as my footage is going *giggity Gigity* its glitching from frame to frame"

If it goes ok at first frames and in a few later the "giggities" starts and getting worst then it could be your frame rate. Check your frame rate of your footage to be the same to the one your camera had when you took the shot... could be that

"and i converted the file MPG to AVI simply be renaming it.. "

..why? Be more specific.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: When Ever I Preview And Render Im Getting Alot of Glitches! (read for more info)
on Jun 6, 2010 at 8:13:02 pm

> i converted the file MPG to AVI simply be renaming it..

Why would you do this?

The file-name extension tells software what kind of file it is. That tells the software, for example, which piece of software to use to open, import, and decode the file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Steven Farrugia
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:58:52 am

theres this way to change a file just by renaming the .avi or .mpg so i can put it into CS3

coz it wont go into cs3 as an mpg

and the frame rate is set as the same..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Whenever I Preview And Render, I'm Getting A Lot of Glitches! (read for more info)
on Jun 7, 2010 at 3:51:31 pm

[Steven Farrugia] "...theres this way to change a file just by renaming the .avi or .mpg so i can put it into CS3 "

Oh, REALLY? And what kind of drugs have YOU been taking?

Sorry, there isn't any, "I don't want to make any effort" sort of way to do this in AE8. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mpg, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steven Farrugia
Re: Whenever I Preview And Render, I'm Getting A Lot of Glitches! (read for more info)
on Jun 9, 2010 at 9:41:44 am

Ahem..

there you go mr "expert"!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:44:52 pm

Hey, if you enjoy hacks, knock yourself out. You want to learn the right way to do things? Stick around.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:47:45 pm

Just because a kid posted a video on YouTube showing you how to do something, it doesn't mean that it's a good idea or that it works (well).

I am telling you as a member of the team of people that makes After Effects that changing a file-name extension is not a good or supported way to do this. Changing a file-name extension makes it so that the wrong piece of software is assigned to the decoding task.

To put it roughly, this is like getting a big couch through a small front door by chopping it in half and chopping the legs off. Yeah, you can get it in, but it won't be as useful later.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:57:24 pm

Oh, and thanks for the warning by posting that video and your illuminating comment that accompanies it.

No, it's true; you've done me a favor.

Now I know where your head is at. You're more likely to believe the word of a high school kid than people who work for Adobe or who have been using the software for more than ten years.

This is very helpful, because I'll know how much of my time I should invest in answering your questions -- not much at all.

The name's Steven Farrugia or something like that, right?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steven Farrugia
on Jun 10, 2010 at 10:26:59 pm

-.- sorry!

anyway ive worked out the problem xD

i was using a bad file (avi)

im using .mov now and its better.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:19:32 pm

Apparently you think that an AVI is an AVI, and a Quicktime is a Quicktime. Wrong. They're simply MEDIA CONTAINERS. The media within can be encoded using various kinds of codecs... and there are a bunch of 'em. AE deals with codecs with varying degrees of success based on how the codecs go about their business of encoding.

That's why simply changing the file extension may work for an amateur application like "Windows Home Movies" or whatever they call it, but it won't cut the mustard in AE.

If you want to be successful in AE, you really need to read up on this stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]