ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating leveled text in circle

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mario QuintanaAnimating leveled text in circle
by on Jun 5, 2010 at 11:53:15 pm

I am trying to animate a spinning 2d doughnut shaped wheel, with a few pieces of text on the side of the wheel, but I would like the text to remain leveled so that it remains legible as the wheel rotates.

So I can make my doughnut rotate by parenting it to a null and rotating the null, however, simply trying to parent the text to the wheel does not allow the text to remain leveled because the wheel is rotating in a clockwise motion.

I found an expression for the position that animates the text in a circle, see below, but it does not seem to allow me to control the speed.

([this_comp.width/2, this_comp.height/2],
[Math.sin(time)*50, -Math.cos(time)*50])

With my basic knowledge of parenting and expressions, I have not been able to figure this one out.

However I should be able to comprehend a basic expression or parenting scheme.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Animating leveled text in circle
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 12:03:41 am

You set the anchor point of the text arc to the center of the donut. To make an expression for the rotation of the text, drag the pickwhip to the Rotation value of the null and release. Multiply that expression by -1.

For example, the donut will rotate 60 degrees, and the text by -60. It will stay in place.

Return to posts index

Mario QuintanaRe: Animating leveled text in circle
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 12:58:21 am

Hey Steve.

Thanks a million. If you can help with this, I will be eternally grateful. My stress level is a bit high right now.

It had the right effect but the rotation of the text layer but wasn't quite right. The rotation of the text layer came out as an elipse, rather that the perfect circle around the center point.

I may not have followed your direction perfectly.

I set my anchor point of my text layer to (-320, -180) in a square pixel 640x360 comp. My Null Anchor point is (0,0)

I dragged the pickwhip from the rotation expression in my text layer - to the rotation control in my null layer.

This was the expression created

thisComp.layer("Null 5").transform.rotation

I tried to multiply by -1, and I could have done this incorrectly. Below is my attempt at multiplying by -1.

thisComp.layer("Null 5").transform.rotation*-1

Is this correct?

If correct, could there be another problem with my anchor points? Thanks again for trying to help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved