ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Isolating multiple colors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vikash AutarIsolating multiple colors
by on Jun 5, 2010 at 3:02:51 pm

Hey guys,

I tried to do this in Apple Color but ran into the problem that the software could only properly isolate one color (using vignettes was not an option). I will use the rotobrush tool to isolate my actor but I'm wondering if there is a way to select for example everything that is Red in the clip + everything that is Blue in the clip and only make those colors saturated. I would like to isolate multiple colors. I have looked around but unfortunately everything I find is about isolating 1 single color. Is there any to do this with multiple colors? I would like to make a proper Pleasentville effect.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Isolating multiple colors
by on Jun 5, 2010 at 7:41:49 pm

You can isolate multiple colors with multiple passes - use a color keyer to isolate red, one for blue and so on. Obviously you need multiple layers of the same shot comped on top of each other.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Vikash AutarRe: Isolating multiple colors
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 2:56:14 am

Thanks for your reply Tudor.

I figured it out till that point, but I am just wondering at how to combine these layers? I read some stuff about track mattes but it confuses me a bit. Any idea how I would combine the different corrections?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Isolating multiple colors
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 9:08:36 am

Basically "track matte" is a option you can enable on a layer, by which you choose to use the alpha/mask from the layer above.
Regarding the method I proposed: duplicate your layer as many times as you have colors that you want to isolate. Key out on each layer the color you want and invert the key- this will give you a selection of just that specific color. You can then manipulate each color as you desire- saturate color, use different blend modes... sky is the limit.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]